2019 Notebook 9 Lineup (regular/pro/pen)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by skygunnerblue, Jan 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. skygunnerblue

skygunnerblue Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Notebook 9 | link
    similar design as last year but they seemed to have heard the complaints and bumped the battery to 75WHr​

Notebook 9 Pen | link
    new design (I dig the blue), looks super light too​

Notebook 9 Pro | link
    also new design language, wish it came in something other than silver though
    What do people think? I'm looking to replace my old Samsung Series 9 and have been considering these (along with other lightweight 13-inchers like the new Dell XPS or the ASUS S or maybe the HP Spectre).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Dannemand, hfm and iunlock like this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I'm really liking the laptop and have been eyeing it. I've always like the confidence in the internal build quality if Samsung laptops. Most of it is all built in house.

As for the 9, I really like the new refresh. Might be in for one...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That Notebook 9 15" looks like a winner.

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've been searching but I can't find anything. Any idea when the launch date for these is?

I see the previous gen Notebook 9 15" is maybe $200 cheaper than it used to be on B&H. (Wasn't it $1699 US?) Unless I'm just forgetting how much it used to be.

I'm deciding between this and the LG Gram 17 I think as my next. Each one has some pros and cons. I really like the 17" in a 15" form factor of the Gram 17, also the 16:10 aspect ratio in the LG Gram 17 is really attractive, slightly higher resolution, and 17" size for coding/productivity. But the Samsung has the advantage of an MX150 so you don't have to plug in the eGPU just to play a less intense game. Doesn't seem like there's a wrong choice between these two. Also I think the Sammy has slightly better cooling, though you can probably reapply TIM to the Gram with decent TIM (kryo) and fix any throttling there, the previous gen had that issue and it doesn't look like they learned anything and changed the heat management. It's pretty anemic from the teardown I saw, so much wasted space in there that could have been used to make a slightly better heat management solution.

Was planning on dual booting Windows+Linux so if the Sammy only has one m.2 slot that would probably make part of the decision. Hmm... I'll have to stand by and wait for some proper reviews of these before I go all in.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  5. skygunnerblue

Reputations:
    Samsung has only said "Early 2019" so far, but historically it's been Jan/Feb. I wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement any day now.

hfm likes this.
  6. skygunnerblue

Reputations:
    Release date for the Pen models appears to be March 17th:

NP930SBE-K01US (13" i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, UHD 620)
    $1,400 | Amazon | B&H
    NP950SBE-K01US (15" i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, UHD 620)
    $1,600 | Amazon | B&H
    NP950SBE-X01US (15" i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, MX150)
    $1,800 | Amazon | B&H

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Dannemand likes this.
  7. skygunnerblue

Reputations:
    Confirmed: both the Pen and Pro officially go on sale March 17th. Specs and pricing here:

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-notebook-9-pen-notebook-9-pro-pcs-arrive-stores-march-17/

Availability
    • The Samsung Notebook 9 Pen will be available for purchase on March 17, starting at $1,399.99 at Amazon and Samsung.com.
    • From March 17 – March 31, 2019, consumers who purchase a Notebook 9 Pen on Samsung.com will receive a $100 eCertificate towards the purchase of a PC or PC accessories³.
    • The Samsung Notebook 9 Pro will be available for purchase on March 17, starting at $1,099.99 at Best Buy and Samsung.com.

8. Nexus7

Nexus7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just 3.28 lb and 3.44 lb for the 15" versions! These are the best notebooks/2-in-1s out there now.

Trackpoint and 15.6" screens would be on my wish list.. but once pricing settles down, I'm getting one of the 15s.

9. njweb

njweb Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone try the 2019 NoteBook 9 Pen (NP950)?
    I am curious about battery life and keyboard typing feel and keyboard travel. I posted the same question's on a different Tablet site's Samsung forum where someone owns one.
    I have not opened mine yet due to restocking fee and lack of reviews so far...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  10. skygunnerblue

Reputations:
    I've been using the NP930 for a few days now and I really like it. My NP900X3F from years ago bit the dust so I needed a replacement ASAP. I checked out the Pro at Best Buy, but I didn't like it - it's heavier with worse specs and a more boring design.

Anyway, the NP930 key travel is as shallow as you would expect for a laptop of this size, but I've had no issues with it. Battery life is just ok, although I haven't really been using any power saver settings just yet. It's odd that this machine can only be configured with an i7 because I feel like an i5 would have helped battery life just a bit. On the plus side, it does have a battery life extender, which limits max charge to 85%.

Feel free to hit me with any other questions.

njweb and Dannemand like this.