2018 Samsung Notebook 9 (13.3" / 15" / Pen)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by skygunnerblue, Dec 13, 2017.

1. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you get Samsung Online Support to check over your system?
    Did you check for malware?
    Did you run PCMark 8 (which can detect specific performance issues)?

2. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did none of these things to be fair besides a malware check. The system refused to boot over and over again so not possible for samsung to check. I am beginning to think perhaps the ssd was a bit loose because in the bios, it would sometimes say sata port 1 not installed, which might be why the laptop wasn't booting.Anyway, that is the past now.

3. wimpex18

wimpex18 Newbie

Reputations:
    I got this laptop(Samung notebook 9 15).
    How can I improve the sound of the built-in speakers?
    And I found the touchpad bug:
    The touchpad cursor stops responding for a second when I close any applications. Afterr that it appears in the place where it should be.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  4. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, in the samsung settings app you can choose some settings for audio presets. That might help. I believe there is also a dolby app for windows 10 that you can install which might improve things. I returned mine and the sound quality of the speakers was one of my reasons for doing so

5. ripper2020

ripper2020 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, just going through this thread and noticed your post as I happen to have the samsung notebook 9 and xps 15 9570 right now. Trying to decide which one to keep. Both keyboards aren't great but I'd say I prefer the samsungs. It feels like their is more key travel.

I will say the main, and probably only, reason I'm thinking of returning the xps is it runs warm. With a lite load it doesn't get hot, but it never feels cool / room temperature. The samsung runs much cooler and if you aren't pushing it you won't notice any heat.

6. ripper2020

ripper2020 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know this is an older post but I thought I'd chime in on the hinge. At first I thought it was solid enough but I'm noticing more and more it's very sensitive. E.G. if you're using it on a table and that table is bumped or moves in the slightest you'll get some slight display wobble. I would not recommend to someone planning to use it on a bus or train. It's fine if you're in a fairly stable environment and I wouldn't worry about it actually losing it's position. If you pick it up to move it, it will wobble but again won't lose it's position. I also picked up an xps 15 9570 recently and it's hinge is ROCK SOLID. It's actually to the point of almost being too stiff...almost. Overall, I'd prefer if the samsung's was a bit tighter but it's not a deal breaker for most people.

7. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    the LAST & BEST laptop from Samsung was ATIV 9 with QHD Screen and WITHOUT PWM and aluminium chassis.
    It was back in 2015. That laptop was just amazing. Since that they start putting horrible cheap 1080p only LCD panels (probably from BOE) with PWM method of controlling brightness. Disappointed with new products from Samsung, not recommend

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    daibatzu likes this.
  8. nicholasuk

nicholasuk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi chaps,

I bought the Ativ book 9 15" (NP940X5J) back in 2014 (my review: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ounced-jan-6-2014.742013/page-96#post-9773853) and have recently upgraded to the new Notebook 9 15" NP900X5T-X01US.

Here's a review from me on the new laptop compared to the NP940X5J, including information on my experience of installing Linux on the new laptop.

Physically, the upgrade has gone from 2Kg to 1.3Kg which is amazing. This has allowed me to do away with my other 1Kg laptop (12-inch Ativ Book 9) which I used mainly during commuting as the NP940X5J is pretty heavy to carry around.

The screen is very slightly smaller than the NP940X5J. The display is a lot brighter, allowing the laptop to be used outside in sunlight, something the older NP940X5J was less suitable for.

The build quality has suffered a little, presumably due to the weight reduction, but I am happy with it, apart from one aspect..

I found the keyboards on the Ativ Book 9 15" and 12" really to be very high quality, solid feeling and nice to type on. The keyboard on the new NP900X5T is a big disappointment. Each key feels a little floppy/wobbly, and the plastic that Samsung has used feels quite unsatisfying compared to the keyboards on the older machines I have. This temporarily led me to abandon using the new NP900X5T for a couple of months and keep using the older machines.

I'm now finally back using the NP900X5T and am trying to get used to this new keyboard. Perhaps someone who has not owned a previous Ativ 9 model will not have this same experience with this keyboard, but it is clear that the keyboard on this new flagship laptop from Samsung has really taken a turn for the worse. I hope they address this issue in future models.

Performancewise, the NP900X5T is amazingly fast, to the point where I have started using it in place of my desktop for cpu intensive tasks.

Regarding Linux on the NP900X5T, I installed Kubuntu 18.04 after reducing the Windows partition size, and, with the exception of the dual integrated/Nvidia MX150 switchable GPU, everything works perfectly. I believe there is a third party implementation for switchable graphics on Linux, but I haven't bothered with it, as the only reason I need the MX150 is for a Windows based CAD application I occasionally run by booting into Windows.

Dannemand likes this.
  9. Kotidoti

Kotidoti Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a couple of questions regarding this computer I'd hope to see someone shine in on.

After bios fix and turning the computer into its performance mode, it's supposed to not throttle anymore if I'm correct, but how good are the temperatures when playing games? Is it good enough to even overclock? How does it behave if you throttle stop or fix it with the oh so popular XTU and undervolting or try MSI afterburner to change the GPU behaviour?

I really want to buy this expensive but light piece of laptop but I don't have the luxury of trying it out anywhere since I'm based in Europe. My personal main use regarding stressing the GPU would be dota2, LoL and diablo 3 if anyone has experience regarding these specific games then that too would be appreciated.

10. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations: