2018 Samsung Notebook 9 (13.3" / 15" / Pen)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by skygunnerblue, Dec 13, 2017.

1. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks good. $135 cheaper than if you bought it from Amazon. Ask for an original invoice, so you have no problems with warranty.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, got mine today (13 inches KO1-US) and the display is terrible. Already have a headache after less than an hour of use. The colors are not that great either. My Sony Vaio Pro 13 display from 2014 is much better and even has better colors. Also have not noticed much of a difference in speed.This is a real shame to honest. I think I will just buy a new ssd for my vaio and be done with it.

3. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My Review of Samsung notebook 9 2018 model, 13 inch

Build Quality
    ------------------
    This is very good actually. Not what I was expecting as most reviewers claimed it felt like plastic and was very flimsy. Not the case at all. It feels like a strong, solid machine. There is some flex if you pull the screen but not that much. Compared to the 2017 model (judging from the videos I have seen on youtube), this version is better built. It also does not seem likely to scratch easily. But who knows? The laptop also has this weird chemical smell I find unsettling.
    Keyboard is very good. Mouse is a bit slippery and not to my liking.
    Ports are adequate, 2 usb3, one usb-c, 1 hdmi, 1 microsd. What I like about the ports is that they are not loose at all. They fit in very very tightly and this is good.

Performance
    ---------------------
    Very bad. Perhaps I got a faulty unit but this does not feel like a quadcore machine at all. I have a vaio pro from 2013/14 with a haswell chip and the earliest pcie drive, and it feels much much faster than this machine. The laptop does not get hot and the fan rarely comes on which is good.
    Computer freezes a lot. I get stutter watching 1080p videos which is ridiculous for an 8th gen.
    Also, many times when starting the laptop, I get a cannot boot , please press F4 error. Which usually goes away after doing a hard shutdown (holding down the powerbutton and starting over). Also sometimes when laptop wakes from sleep, the same error happens. Not sure why.

Audio
    -------------
    Beyond terrible. You can barely hear anything. They have a low volume and lack any clarity at all, with a muffled sound. Very bad. The speakers are at the bottom of the laptop. In addition, the volume keeps getting reset to 34 out of 100. What is worse is that headphones do not improve the audio either.

Battery Life
    ----------------
    Excellent. You can get 15 hours easily on this machine based on video tests I did anyway.

Display
    ------------
    The original settings are terrible. But once you run samsung update and get the newer version of the samsung settings app, things improve greatly. Unfortunately the display will give you severe headaches and eyestrain if you have sensitive eyes like I do. In contrast, I can stare at my vaio pro 13 or even the nintendo switch I bought alongside this laptop for hours without any issues. The display on this machine is a complete disgrace in my humble opinion.

SUMMARY
    ------------------
    I strongly do not recommend this laptop. You have been warned. It is not worth 1100 dollars in any way. Samsung keeps trying to be Apple which is sad. They moved away from this obsession and found incredible success with their galaxy phones. Now it is time for their laptop division to move on. I really wish Sony, a company with strong original ideas about what a laptop can and should be, still made laptops, but alas, it is no longer meant to be. Will be selling this device at the earliest opportunity.

4. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello huberth, pcmark8 is 3gb and I currently do not have enough bandwidth as my data plan is about to expire. Might run this sometime next week. In the meantime here is crystal diskmark. All the numbers are great. The ram is 8gb ddr4, the processor is 8th gen e.t.c. But the performance is terrible. Not sure why. The only thing that works as advertised is the battery life.

Attached Files:

6. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    After using fn+Q and setting to performance mode, computer is now quite fast. But why is the balanced performance mode so poor. In balanced mode, it cannot compete with a sony vaio pro from 5 years ago running on battery power and that is very strange.

Now trying to fix the booting errors I keep getting. Hubert, could you let me know what your BIOS booting settings are? Also need to find a way to find latest version of BIOS.

7. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "Samsung Update" will give you the latest BIOS for your model.

You may also want to try "Online Support". I found the Samsung technicians in Korea very knowledgeable.

8. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I gave up. returned it today by mail. Now looking at the LG gram or maybe even keeping my vaio pro

9. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you buy it from a reputable retailer (Amazon, etc.) or used (ebay, etc.)?

10. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It was from Amazon. Anyway this sort of thing happens from time to time. But I have never had to return a laptop before. Never even returned anything on Amazon before. Really odd.
    I have a question about laptop performance. I found it odd that my vaio pro haswell with a first generation pcie ssd was faster than this samsung with a p961 ssd and quadcore processor. My vaio is quite thin but wider so I do not know if that means it is easier to cool or something but you mentioned doing something called undervolting on your machine. Is that what improved performance for you? The samsung only came alive when I switched on maximum performance but this only works on ac power so not practical.