2018 Kia Stinger, an affordable RWD sport sedan

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Personally, if I ever reach a point where I have kids or need to haul stuff,I’ve already decided that I want a station wagon (completely serious). If I need something bigger, minivan.

Speaking of Mazda, I miss their 5 van.

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Peanus size?

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Pretty much this. Americans have a hatred for hatchbacks and wagons in general (especially wagons). So car manufacturers figured out the formula, take a wagon/hatchback, raise it up like 1-3", give it some form of all wheel drive, and bazinga, SUV. And we fall for it too. Fortunately Subaru was one of the early adopters of this (Subaru Legacy Outback, Forester, Outback Sport) and their sales have nearly doubled in just a few years.

What's wrong with this? The SUV is what saved Porsche from total doom in the early 2000's, aka the Porsche Cayenne. Porsche sell more Cayenne and Macans than they do ALL their sport cars. SUVs make up the bulk sales so high performance car companies can still make the crazy esoteric sport cars. Sure I would never purchase a Ferrari or Lamborghini SUV (the Urus looks hideous in my book), but I do like the Jaguar F-Pace and the Alfa Romero Stelvio (god forbid reliability).

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    It’s more vehicle than what most reasonable people need.

Likewise with pickups, btw.

—-

Then again, I’m very pragmatic about cars and am similar to James May insofar as being more interested in the “mundane” stuff

5. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I'm also about pragmatic cars, but when you hit a certain level (ie end of your career, retirement), some people want a high end sports cars. Car companies cannot only just sell sports cars and survive or are very very specialized (McLaren, Pagani, Koenigsegg, just to name a few). I personally don't think the Stelvio or the F-Pace are unpractical, they are just sportier luxury SUVs. Sure the Urus and Bentley SUV are ridiculous, but they make a statement.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A compact or midsize class CUV is more than what a married couple with 1-2 school-age children needs, but a minivan, which is larger in all aspects, is not? o_O

The balance is starting to shift, at least among compact-car buyers. Demand for sedans that size has fallen, but that of hatchbacks has risen.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Well that was the longest sentiment. Subaru, VW, have always touted wagon and hatchbacks, but even American cars like the fiesta, focus, Cruze (which the hatch only came recently), I see a majority are sedans. Maybe 20-30% are hatchbacks. Subaru is maybe closer to 40-50% are hatchbacks, but then they sell the lifted variants as separate models now too (Outback, Crosstrek). I don't understand the stigma of a hatchback or wagon, you get more usable space, same fuel economy. I think 1 downside of the empty space is wagons and hatch's are louder. I don't see the value in sedans anymore, and TBH unless it's a performance car, I'd rather get something more practical. The Stinger has a nice usable space too, which many rear drive cars cannot tout.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, in the US it seems that hatchbacks are (or were?) seen as the poor man’s transportation, hence the stigma of better-off buyers from considering them as a whole. Doesn’t help that a lot of hatchback models are/we’re low-end models like the Fiesta, etc as opposed to nicer models (BMW M-series hatch when?).

9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Definitely don't think my family would have benefited at all from anything with less space than a minivan growing up.