2018 Kia Stinger, an affordable RWD sport sedan

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I don't think the Q50 is that sporty. Being rear wheel drive doesn't make the cut. The G37 handled and felt great, responsive. The Q50 I drove like 2 years ago felt numb, disconnect. I literally couldn't find anything that could connect the G37 lineage to the Q50.

The GS? Maybe the GS-F, but bog standard GS is pretty boring. Maybe the most fun Lexus to drive is the RC-F.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    BMW has nothing to worry about. It has enough brand power to coast on sales for a model year or two while it comes up with a response.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I honestly think BMW wrote off the Stinger concept 2 years ago, after seeing the Hyundai Equus and Kia K900 flop horribly. I'm honestly more shocked that Kia actually proceeded to make the Stringer. I mean I think Kia can make the market shift, I saw the Stinger at the auto show, and it's easily priced 10-15k below its German rivals.

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    I think we agree here. BMW will ride for a bit on people that are dead set on a BMW anyway maybe a model year or two, and then come out with something that is competitive. They don't take much of a hit in the short run and adapt to the market to maintain in the long run.

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Q50 Red Sport 400 is a hoot. I tracked it and it felt every bit as good as a modern BMW, though you could argue that's more of an indictment against BMW than praise for the Q50.

Also, the most fun to drive current Lexus is the LC 500.

The arrogance of the propeller brigade knows no bounds. Trust me. The Stinger is nowhere close to BMW's radar.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Right...so the top end trim that garners maybe 5 or 10% of sales? Back then, even base versions of the G37 were excellent driving. Maybe the Q50 has changed, but from the reviews I've seen of the mid trim 3.0T and the Red Sport 400, it's still not that engaging to drive, compared to the old G37/G37S. I think that 7 speed automatic needs some updating too as Infiniti has had for almost 10 years now.

Sure, and the LC500 is what almost a 100 grand car? I drove a 2015 Lexus GS350...it wasn't anything special tbh.

7. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Yeah, I guess it would have to actually start affecting their sales provably, and I'm thinking it won't.

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Exactly. Very few people will cross shop the Stinger with a 3 Series. You're far more likely to see Dodge Charger, Acura TLX, and Nissan Maxima intenders.

So you're just moving the goalposts then. You said "the most fun Lexus to drive" - nowhere in that statement is a price caveat.

9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I'm not really moving the goal posts at all. Once upon a time, all Japanese rear wheel drive cars drove pretty nicely. Even the GS300, IS300, G35. Now you have to buy the top of the line models to get good driving dynamics? I find that bullcrap. I heard the new IS200T is promising, but almost all base and even mid trim luxury "sport" sedans are not satisfying at all. They all lost their edginess, the feeling, driving dynamics. I would probably say the best sports sedan you can buy is the A4/A5 without going horribly above 50k. BMW has been watering down the 3 series into a compliance car (turbo charged engines which BMW isn't famous for, all the M cars have been so numb for the past decade). The C300 is nice but MB hasn't ever really played in the sports sedan minus the AMG. I personally think the Q50 is really bland and there's a feeling of Nissan/Infiniti cutting massive corners to make the Q series price competitive. The interior is mediocre at best. The new IS is nicely appointed and the typical Lexus quality, but the driving experience is disappointing. The A4/5 probably best balances good handling, nicely finished interior but it's gotten mighty expensive as Audi have moved up in the luxury market. And given how I saw the Stinger in person this weekend at the DC auto show, I'd say it comes really close to the A4/A5 despite it being a larger car.

Again the Stinger being successful only means good things for consumers. More competition means better products for the consumer. Brands like BMW and Infiniti have fallen by the wayside without strong competition. It's why Japanese cars for the past couple of years have been ho-hum.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    If it makes Acura and Nissan step up their games that would still be cool. Doubt the Charger has anything to worry about unless they make a 700HP stinger, Mopar people are also pretty attached to their brand even when it isn't on top.