2018 Kia Stinger, an affordable RWD sport sedan

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    No one car is right for everyone, I agree. But personally, I'd choose this over a Focus RS because the RS is far harsher than a GT car in daily driving. And I'd probably get choose this over a SHO or Charger because they're soooo big on the outside.

A faux-trunk liftback like this doesn't give you more cargo space than a trunk does, but it gives you much better access to the space you have. Particularly with a fastback design that would mean a tiny trunk opening.

2. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be fair "harsh ride" didn't stop people from buying the viper. It also didn't stop the Otaku zombies from venerating the R32/33/34 as fantastic cars, even though they rode a LOT harsher than the Z16 GTO.

In any event, my tastes are unchanging. I want fastback, coupe, awd & turbo (preferably 6 cylinders). VW could essentially fix all of this by giving the Scirocco the Golf AWD chassis...but that would be too logical. Same for Ford designing a 2-door fastback on the ST chassis. To me, what Kia has done here is simply another example of how a great concept was remolded into an obscurity that will fail to justify ever putting it into production. For reference, compare the Aztek concept to the production vehicle. As it stands though, I'm more likely to buy a used SLK55AMG than settle for the unappealing coupes/sedans dotting the landscape currently.

Maybe they'll reinvent the Veloster into a RWD Kia platform...but I doubt it.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It's almost as if people have different minimum standards for civility from trackday beasts than from grand tourers. You seem to want a car that is punch-you-in-the-face hardcore. Nothing wrong with that, but the Stinger was never meant for that market.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No one is going to cross-shop this car with a Focus RS. And on that note, I had the opportunity last fall to put a Focus RS through its paces and found it to be profoundly disappointing. For all its hype, the car was loud, fidgety, and surprisingly difficult to drive smoothly. I'd take a Golf R or WRX STi every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Mitlov likes this.
  5. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Always welcome another front-engine RWD car, whether 2- or 4-door! Name's cheesy and I'm not a huge fan of Hyundai/Kia interior design (Stinger doesn't look to be an exception to that), but most everything else looks like they got it right at this point. Looking forward to reading reviews.

Highly doubt a significant number of people would cross-shop this with a Focus RS. One's a fastback-styled sedan that comfortably seats 4 while also offering the sporty dynamics lent by a FR layout. The other is a low-volume extreme hot hatch that competes with the Golf R and Subaru WRX STI. The RS's ride is harsher than most everyone not looking for a sports car or hot hatch would want for a daily driver (and that's coming from a BRZ driver).

Mitlov likes this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Motor Trend’s review of a production model is remarkably appealing. It’s bigger than I thought; it’s more grand touring midsize sport sedan than light-and-agile track car, but that’s not a bad thing in my married-with-two-kids opinion. More of a “Korean Dodge Charger” and less of a “non-luxury 3-Series” than I first thought when I first saw pictures.

And the back seat looks very habitable, although the windows could be larger.

[​IMG]

7. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Front-end? Gorgeous.
    Interior? Same.
    Rear-end? [​IMG]

Seriously. What happened? It's the perfect storm of "4dr coupe" and "needs moar exhausts".

8. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    So does this mean there's a 700hp version coming later? :)

Mitlov likes this.
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Nope, nobody can Mopar quite like Mopar can Mopar.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I don’t mind the quad exhaust, but I don’t like the fake vents on the hood. I’ll agree the interior is nice, though, but I reserve final judgment until I see it in something other than all black (if they offer another choice).