2018 Kia Stinger, an affordable RWD sport sedan

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    This shares a platform with the second-generation Hyundai Genesis, but is aimed at the sporty crowd instead of the luxury crowd. Powertrains are a turbo four that makes 255 hp and 260 ft-lbs, or a twin-turbo V6 that makes 365 hp and 376 ft-lbs. Unfortunately, an eight-speed autobox is the only transmission choice for now.

From what I understand, it splits the difference between the 3-Series and the Charger in terms of interior and exterior dimensions.

As a side note, even though "Stinger" is slightly cheesy, the move away from alphanumeric naming is much appreciated. I much prefer saying "he bought a Mustang" or "she bought a Continental" to saying "he bought a CRM32405SP."

If reviews are good, I might replace my Civic Si Sedan with one.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.netcarshow.com/kia/2018-stinger/

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Looks like this will be a solid alternative to the likes of the Acura TLX or Nissan Maxima.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The ST seems like a good one :)

Mitlov likes this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Ooh, good picks for competition. They talk a lot about targeting the 3-Series, but almost nobody's going to cross-shop the two. I could see a ton of people cross-shopping this, the TLX, and the Maxima, though, and I think it could really eat into those two markets (especially the Acura...Acura sport sedans just aren't as engaging or well-executed as they were ten years ago).

hmscott likes this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They do that in order to get looks from the BMW fanboy media. Having spent a decade of my working life around those people, it's almost comical how so many of them prostrate themselves in front of that brand and that other car companies want to be BMW so badly, when it's merely a shadow of what it once was. The 2 Series is the only BMW worth anything now.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Yeah, nowadays I think of BMW as just another luxury marque like Mercedes-Benz or Lexus, aimed primarily at prestige buyers instead of driving enthusiasts. Only a couple models are an exception to this rule, and hell, even Toyota/Lexus can make one or two driver's cars.

The Stinger in some ways reminds me of the unveil of the Dodge Magnum a decade ago...a dramatically-styled non-luxury performance-oriented rear-drive five-door built on the bones of a luxury sedan. It was weird, it defied classification, and it ultimately faded away for more traditional replacements (Charger/Challenger/300), but it was still awesome.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I really like Kia's representative at the Detroit Motor Show. He's got a lot more personality and candor than you normally get from corporate reps at these sorts of events.

hmscott likes this.
  8. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not a fan of the "stinger" name. This is the original "stinger" concept...at least in my book.
    [​IMG]

Second, the concept car for this was a coupe. This is another boring sedan. I'd actually take a Genesis over this; the cost will be virtually the same, and at least it won't say KIA.

Third, you're going to have a hard time persuading someone to buy this over a charger. Just saying.

p.s.
    BMW = Big Money Waste

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    It's actually a hatchback like the Porsche Panamera...I didn't appreciate that when I made the thread. That's very unique.

And there are actually a lot more non-luxury rwd sport coupes than non-luxury rwd sporty four doors. Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Genesis Coupe, Scion FR-S, etc.

hmscott likes this.
  10. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It may be a liftback, but it doesn't have the proportions of a fastback...in which case, why even bother?

I don't want another RWD, naturally aspirated coupe. I want an AWD turbocharged coupe. From my perspective, the Focus RS trumps this by a country mile. I doubt the price/performance even justifies getting the Stinger over a Taurus SHO. Good luck to Kia even getting people to pick this thing over a Charger/300.