2018 computer reliability report - a bit shocking for me

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by vacationtime, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Exactly. What is breaking in these new Macbook Pros though is that idiotic keyboard they have moved to. In any other laptop the keyboard can be replaced in about 5 minutes, in that pile of crap it will take hours as you have to remove the (lack of)logic board.

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Oh you mean the easy to replace keyboard with around 76 screws or do you mean the crappy heatsink you can break with literally 2 fingers? Or do you mean the very very very thincables that love to just rip themselves for no reason, or do you mean the VRM that actually dies due to piss poor positioning?Or the macbook 2008 + 2009, 2010, 2011 dying because of terrible GPU? Or maybe the speakers blowing on the older retinas?

Ohhhhh.......... I realised something....... Apple somehow managed to really make terrible things on their high end line didn't they?

vacationtime and Arrrrbol like this.
  3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Nah man, watching Rossman's videos, I don't recommend Apple for longevity.

4. vacationtime

vacationtime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which brand do you recommend then? Even the top ranked apple here seems to have some issues...

Arrrrbol likes this.
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    All laptop brands have issues, none are 100% perfect and there’s no garuntee that you will get a working system with the top ranked brands in that list.

You could get a laptop which is easy to repair, as suggested previously. Personally, I prefer to use business-class laptops and I tend to recommend those who don’t need any gaming performance since they tend to not only be repairable, but are also usually built much better and come with far better aftersales support. Examples of what I’m referring to would include the Lenovo Thinkpad series, HP Elitebook series, and Dell Latitude series.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  6. Kurgo

Kurgo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been following his channel for a short while but that video on the MB's keyboards? Good god. 130-200$ for a keyboard plus all the work you have to do to manage to change it, if you can even do it without screwing over your whole pc (Rossmann themselves don't offer this service because of how dicey it is with new keyboards often not working, that alone says something).
    Between all these things and the fact that Apple doesn't know how to repair anything, they pretty much replace stuff rather than repair (at a huge premium, if your warranty is over), yeah, I wouldn't buy Apple even if I had the money to, it's quite literally spending more money to have the dubious privilege to spend even more money in the future. Unbelievable.

don_svetlio and Arrrrbol like this.
  7. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Most people buy a cheap apple device, because enthusiasts are not stupid enough to invest in the horrible value on their "high end spec". Honestly every brand has their really bad and really good notebooks.

For instance, the MSI GT 7x series is simply near perfection, the moment you go down for the raider and stealth you'll cringe.
    Asus is utter garbage as it seems, except for their Ryzen notebook, which apparently is good.
    Razer notebooks are jokes, mosfets byebye.
    Alienware jokebooks since 2015
    Clevo same as alienware, jokebooks.

It's odd really, it seems brands nawadays just produce half working mess and pushes it to the public. There are some sellers such as HIDevolution that try to fix the mess the brands created but there is only so much they can do.

All in all, the highend market is a mess. Also HP is only that low due to their joke mutimedia notebooks which go inlike 95% of the score, meanwhile the business class HP notebooks are really really really solid. So don't trust those numbers.

capjack and vacationtime like this.
  8. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    The keyboard failure rates are the main reason I am not recommending them at the time of writing this. Prior to that, I would usually suggest MBPs as good on-the-go art/graphic design machines but that's not a thing anymore.

9. vacationtime

vacationtime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why Alienware is not good? This brand is under Dell, right? They have quiet good image I thought, dunno about the quality though...

I have seen some of Alienware laptops, but all quiet heavy, do they have thin and light choices?

I want my next laptop to be lighter, but still good enough to play some games. I don’t play now, but my boyfrind does, figure I can start to do so when I have a new laptop.

10. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Btw reading into the article... This looks like we aren't interpreting the data quite right. This is the percentage of repairs done by Rescuecom. So while for windows machines this data is probably fairly valid, for Apple machines the vast majority of people who have issues take it to the Apple Store. So I'd say that rating should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.

It's also unlikely to accurately reflect business class laptops with business grade support that would probably also not being going to a shop like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.