2018 blade advanced replacement parts sourcing

Discussion in 'Razer' started by NYalex, May 10, 2019.

1. NYalex

NYalex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi everyone, new owner of a 2018 razer blade advanced.

it has a broken hinge where the screw goes in, so one of my corner screws for the bottom lid cannot be screwed on. Doesn't affect anything other than a slight gap on the corner of the bottom lid.

Anyhow, where do you guys source replacement parts for these laptops?

I usually found every single replacement part i ever needed for other laptops in between amazon/ebay/aliexpress.

But i can't find much on the razer blade 15. I do see quite a bit of parts for the blade 14 and blade stealth.

2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since it’s new why don’t you send it back and get new one? Blade 14 and stealth is already there quite a while so you can find parts from 3rd parties on eBay but Blade 15 isn’t a year yet, I saw only common parts like the Fans.

3. NYalex

Reputations:
    got the laptop as part of a trade, so it came broken. no warranty.
    it doesn't affect functionality whatsoever, but it bothers me on a premium laptop.

4. rb6freak

rb6freak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    NYalex likes this.
  5. NYalex

Reputations:
    oh WOW!

yes, that one EXACTLY. Reading your links, it seems to be a common issue.

Man, what a bummer. a cheap fragile plastic on an otherwise very well built laptop.
    What is the solution these days? call razer support?

6. rb6freak

rb6freak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If it's under warranty, you can get it repaired. Alternatively, Gorilla glue or two-part epoxy will fix it (that was my fix, still holding strong).

7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It can be said common issue if defective unit over 10 units, I don’t think it’s more than that, didn’t see this on Razer Forum only on Reddit and this forum, two of users had broke it because too tight tighten it when doing repasting job, maybe two claimed it’s broken itself. Though I’m agree metal anchors maybe better than plastic one, but mine so far still sit tight, 11 months. On RTX model it’s still plastic only more secured.
    Yeah if you have still guarantee let them fix that, replacing it is better than glue it yourself.

8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I saw people concerned about this when they just got the laptop, and I guess it was only a matter of time until they started breaking off. It is a shame indeed on such an expensive laptop - and there's no way to get the parts and fix it yourself like with popular OEMs with better support like Dell and Lenovo.

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Time will tell:)

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The newer models have different plastic parts on those locations than the one mentioned in the reddit posts. The hinges itself are mounted into the aluminum laptop chassis itself, these plastic parts cover it just so that the bottom panel can be mounted. I wonder if it would be possible to let someone create aftermarket versions of these made out of metal.

On the other hand how is this much more different than all those MSI and Asus laptops that have a full plastic chassis, as long if the plastics are made to withstand mechanical tension and heatcycles, this should be no problem.