2018 Apple iPad Pro Reviews

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by hmscott, Nov 18, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's an odd response to my posting a warning about easily bendable iPro Pro's... I wouldn't give anyone that device knowing how fragile it is.

Are you sure they are using the iPad Pro? I know that sounds like a silly question, but it wouldn't be the first time I've had the same situation - no problem calls about a device - only to find my parents weren't using it. TV, VHS and DVD players come to mind.

My sister did take to the iPad more than the PC, but I've had to walk her through a number of use scenarios over the years when I hear how she is using it and when I ask her to send or receive something from me or go to a website and interact with it.

No news isn't always good news. There is no magical device that will solve this problem of trying to help bring our family and friends into computer savviness.

Spending $1000-1500 on an iPad Pro is just throwing money at the problem instead of spending the personal one on one time needed to help them learn.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, this is a silly question. However, being the nice guy that I am, I will humor you.

Within the first week of ownership, my mom texted me with great joy saying that she figured out how to search for and download the owner's manual to their then-new washing machine. She was also excited to download the Kindle app and remotely check out books from the local library. My dad writes using the MS Word app in his spare time. They've also taken it on three separate weekend road trips. The one issue they had was with the keyboard case I also bought them, but they figured it out themselves without needing me to intervene.

So I will thank you for ceasing to project your experiences onto me from this point forward.

kojack, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Reports of the frame being bent from normal use even after putting the iPad Pro inside of a hard case can be explained by Apple's reasoning for the iPad Pro being bent right out of the box.

Apple confirms some iPad Pros ship slightly bent, but says it’s normal
    By Chris Welch@chriswelch Dec 19, 2018, 5:14pm EST
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19...end-pro-2018-shipping-manufacturing-confirmed

"Apple has confirmed to The Verge that some of its 2018 iPad Pros are shipping with a very slight bend in the aluminum chassis. But according to the company, this is a side effect of the device’s manufacturing process and shouldn’t worsen over time or negatively affect the flagship iPad’s performance in any practical way. Apple does not consider it to be a defect."

It may not be a defect if it is expected, but that doesn't mean the iPad Pro isn't too thin in design and not adequately built for every day use.

The release of stress built in during the manufacturing processes can warp the frame, and with everyday use flexing the stressed area is causing it to bend. Apple suggests it won't happen or continue over time but that seems to be clearly not the case with so many reports by owners of the 2018 and now 2019 iPad Pro's.

If you don't have a bent iPad Pro out of the box, being careful with it and putting it in a hard case may not be enough.

During the iPhone 6 bendgate I recommended returning the phone to Apple and wait for the replacement from Apple, which turned out to work out great for many people. You don't have to keep something that isn't made well, and returning it with a complaint about the problem to the vendor will nudge them in the right direction to come up with a better product.

Here's a review of the iPad Pro's bending problem:

The iPad Pro Is Bending. I'm Not Happy.
    Unbox Therapy
    Published on Jan 1, 2019
    Is the iPad Pro too fragile? Did Apple sacrifice structural integrity in exchange for thinness? Several reports have emerged suggesting that may be the case. Some are claiming that their iPad Pro arrived bent in the box, others suggest the iPad Pro is not backpack friendly.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This won't happen anymore. Jony is gone. So the "thinnest lightest apple products ever" design mantra is over.

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ive is gone but his designs are still with Apple!

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Only for one more generation of products, that were in the pipeline before he was fired/quit.

Vasudev likes this.