2017 Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 13.3 Impressions

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Jefstead, Jul 2, 2017.

1. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes that's why I'm really interested in this computer. It offers a number of new experiences (S-pen, usb-c, foldable, eye scanners e.t.c) just like the feeling I got when I bought my Sony Vaio Z in 2010. Most laptops are fast enough these days. My current laptop (Sony Vaio pro) is 4 years old but still very fast and hasn't given me a big reason to upgrade except it's age and the fact that it could break down at any moment. I was hoping for a higher resolution to complete the upgraded experience feeling since my current laptop is already 1080p but perhaps it doesn't matter so much

2. Jefstead

Jefstead Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's a great machine. My feeling is that higher than 1080p on a 13 inch screen is hard to justify for a "business" laptop. It would pull from battery life and some apps still struggle with DPI scaling. I've found my best balance is 1080p when mobile and plugged into my 34 inch ultrawide at 3440x1440 at home (which this pushes just fine).

3. eva2000

eva2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks @Jefstead for sharing your experiences. I have my eye on the 13.3" version though Samsung has pulled out of Australia market so not available here.

Is it easy to upgrade the SSD in the units ?

4. Jefstead

Reputations:
    I think so, but please check around. I tend to not fiddle with the insides of laptops so can't really confirm.

eva2000 likes this.
  5. eva2000

eva2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    no probs.. definitely researching :)

looking forward to see your experiences as time goes by i.e. battery life etc :)

6. Jefstead

Reputations:
    30 days later and I still really like this laptop. It's my favorite of the year so far and has outright replaced my 2016 MacBook Pro with touchbar. For reference, here are all of the machines I have tried recently:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/user/113593

It's been rock solid in every way and has traveled coast to coast with me with zero issues.

eva2000 likes this.
  7. daibatzu

daibatzu Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Video Review here :

8. 44Jon

44Jon Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, thanks for your original detailed review and willingness to answer follow-up questions. I'm really happy with my purchase as well. Coming from a Lenovo XP-era laptop, the Samsung really is a game-changing experience. (And, as I thought, ability to store the pen in the machine makes all the difference in using it a lot....)