2017 IdeaPad 720s is looking good!

Discussion in 'Yoga, IdeaPad & Essential' started by B0B, Oct 31, 2017.

1. swissarmyknife

swissarmyknife Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @840 G1 ...

OK, so I started to work on battery only at 11:08am today, then took at random times snapshots of battery percentage and time, so that I could create a graph of the discharge over the day.

Here my data:
    upload_2017-12-4_17-18-8.png
    The second column reads "time of sample", also when I broke for lunch at 12:30 the laptop was in sleep mode, so I corrected for my one hour lunch from that point forward as it would otherwise skew the math. The last column is then an incremental representation of time spent using the laptop doing various tasks, such as: using Outlook to read and reply to emails, running Spotfire reports on the Web and the client to make report updates, running various queries against DB2 databases, doing some excel math and lastly this is all with screen on time at 40% brightness and the power option set to battery saver. -- BTW, the fan never turned on once this entire time.

As you can see from the graph the discharge is fairly linear, therefore I extrapolated with in linear fashion the time the battery would run dry...

upload_2017-12-4_17-22-52.png

The Y-axis is battery percentage and the X-axis is the run time in hours.

Nothing too CPU or GPU intensive seems like will allow us to get nearly 10 hours out of this laptop.

Hope this helps with that question.

Attached Files:

840 G1 and Erfan like this.
  2. TorbVea

TorbVea Newbie

Reputations:
    Have anyone experienced some distortions and cracking sound from the speakers? Or is the sound crystal clear even at full volume? When I have the volume at 100% I can sometimes hear a cracking sound from the right speaker. I wonder if I should return the laptop to get the speaker changed or if this is normal behavior?

Erfan likes this.
  3. Erfan

Erfan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just noticed this as well, it's not from the speakers, it's an internal hardware/software issue because if you even use an external speaker or even a headphone/headset you can still hear those exact distortions and cracking noise as well.

Maybe because of a bad sound driver?
    I will try to install latest realtek hd audio driver from their website and not from lenovo to see if it changes anything ...

EDIT:

After installing latest realtek driver from here (HD), it decreased those distortions a bit just a little bit maybe by 5% ~ 10%, but it's still here ...
    @TorbVea Should you contact lenovo support about it please let us know what happened, I will try to speak with them tomorrow about this issue, I need my laptop for Christmas and I will be overseas in two weeks, no time for returning mine and getting another unit if that would be the case ...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. Erfan

Reputations:
    Nice results!
    In my experience, I could only get 4.5 5 hours. I think if you just use it indoors it could increase its battery time by an hour or two maybe? But I'm getting 5 hours at most from mine, that's enough for me ...

5. Erfan

Reputations:
    An update on the sound distortion, after removing dolby software these noises are completely gone!
    Can you confirm this @TorbVea ?

UPDATE:

After listening to music it came back in a few minutes later and then gone again ...

UPDATE 2:

It seems that the noise is still here. If it's an interference, with disabling all those sound enhancement apps it should solve it, but no it won't change anything ... Maybe an interference when CPU fan turns on or something like that? I can't figure it out ...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  6. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you guys do a clean install or using the Lenovo load it came with?

I did a clean install and didn't notice any issues, but I was also at work and couldn't play any music either. It did some weird thing with loading OEM drivers, though, that I had loaded on a USB stick while reloading Windows. That was even after completely blowing away the Lenovo partitions and reformatting the new ones. I may reload it again to see if the issue persists.

Just another note - you need to load the Intel F6 driver during install, or Windows won't detect the SSD.

7. 840 G1

840 G1 Newbie

Reputations:
    This answers my question completely. Really appreciate the detailed answer.

swissarmyknife likes this.
  8. earthdan

earthdan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just about to receive this laptop, pretty excited!

Wondering if anyone has tried a usb-c hub yet? Somewhat interested in getting a usb-c hub with power, ethernet, hdmi, etc., and then getting a usb-c charger to plug into that (since the 720s definitely charges through usb-c). Would be awesome to only plug one usb-c cable into the laptop to get everything!

9. earthdan

earthdan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I received the laptop and everything seems pretty good so far. I seem to have a few minor build issues though, including slightly offset hinge (the plastic part), a pinprick "hole" in the left side palm rest (almost as if it was a mistake in the cnc'ing of the aluminum body), and last but not least a slight rattle in the trackpad. My wife's previous gen 720s has none of these things so I'm a bit underwhelmed by the build. However! I think the internals of this thing are pretty sweet and I might be able to fix the rattle in the trackpad, which probably bugs me the most. I'll open up the laptop in the next few days and let people know if I can fix it. Funnily enough my yoga 2 pro had the same rattle, and all I had to do was re-seat the trackpad and screw back in and everything has been fine since then.

Btw thanks to all who contributed to this thread earlier, really diggin all the detailed analysis going on here....super helpful and very much my style!

Cheers,

Dan

10. TorbVea

TorbVea Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried to figure out what the noise was, and it seems like it is some of the keys on the keyboard that is vibrating when the speaker is playing a specific frequency. The sound is very clear when I use a headset. I did not bother to contact the store or Lenovo support as it is probably nothing to do with it.

I can confirm that my trackpad has a bit of a rattle as well. Would be nice to hear if you are able to fix it!

I also wonder if other have a partition called LENOVO of 25gb containing drivers? If so, is it possible to delete it to get the extra space on the main partition? Or would that affect the possibility to do a system recovery later?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 4:21 AM