2017 IdeaPad 720s is looking good!

Discussion in 'Yoga, IdeaPad & Essential' started by B0B, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Erfan

Erfan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just confirmed it through a the Lenovo sales support, they said that it does not have a DIMM slot!

So that means it is soldered on.

I think I'm gonna buy it through the MC in this week because of it's awesome price!

swissarmyknife likes this.
  2. swissarmyknife

swissarmyknife Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great work Erfan and I agree, MC seems to be a sweet deal.

Erfan likes this.
  3. Erfan

Reputations:
    I have a good news and bad news!

I was talking to another lenovo sale support just now, named Adrian I also have his rep id!, he said that it indeed has a dimm slot. I asked it many times and he checked and assured me that it has a dimm slot and it's not soldered on!
    He referred me to this page, http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Laptops/ideapad_720S_14 , when you click on the specifcation it will show you a pdf file which is stated that,

" Chipset: Intel Soc (System on Chip) platform
    Memory: 16GB max / 2133MHz DDR4, one SO-DIMM socket "

Also I checked the part number that MC had for both models with Lenovo, and they said there aren't any devices with this part number and asked me what was the model of that machine!
    For the highest config on MC, it didn't specify exactly which type of core i7 it has!

4. swissarmyknife

Reputations:
    Man!! I just canceled my order after I spoke to someone at work advising me to also get the 16GB ram version. Regardless, I think the MC version has to be the 8th gen I7 for two assumed reasons.

1. It clearly states that it comes shipped with the MX150 and at Lenovo that combination is only sold with the 8th gen Intels, not 7th.
    2. The spec sheet page from MC refers to the model as the MFG P# as : 81BD..... which is the same as Lenovo shows on their website for the 8th gen Intel's

Short of calling a MC sales rep on the floor to confirm what processor it is, we are only guessing here, but I have a pretty good feeling that the ones on MC are the new 8th gen.

So I have one on order from MC, we will see.

From MC's webpage:
    upload_2017-11-13_16-50-16.png

From Lenovo's webpage:
    upload_2017-11-13_16-52-28.png

The older 7th gen models all start with 80X....

so lets hope, because I ain't canceling again ;-)

Erfan likes this.
  5. Erfan

Reputations:
    You did the best option, because with lower specs you still have to upgrade it in the future. Even with a very good deal you can't simultaneously upgrade both ram and hard drive with $200 in total.

That's my main concern that they may have different parts or I don't know .. Maybe I could even get it directly from Lenovo with a deal on black friday?

I also checked with an in-store sale rep from MC, and she confirmed it's 8th gen intel. So no worries.
    When will you receive your precious laptop? As I remember they need a few days to process the order and other few days for the standard shipment, which means it could take almost a week?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  6. swissarmyknife

Reputations:
    Well, I canceled today, had to wait for Lenovo to accept my cancellation and then placed an order right after with MC. So if it's actually in stock its suppose to ship by Wednesday and likely get here by maybe Monday or Tuesday next week.

Erfan likes this.
  7. Erfan

Reputations:
    Today I talked to another lenovo sale support agent, and she immediately told me that i5 version has a soldered ram, and only i7 version has a dimm slot and it supports only upto 16gb.

I also talked to another agent, he told me that they will have a black friday deal, and with my university referral link, all discounts combined together, the price still wouldn't be $999.

So I decided and placed my order through MC. It will almost take a week to receive it. They have a 14 days return policy.
    I then talked to another agent from MC, she said it's a possibility to have a black friday deal on this system but she didn't think this system would be on black friday deals, so I won't open the package and will wait till then to see if I can get it even lower. I prefer to buy it directly from lenovo.

P.S.
    I'm also still worried about its battery life. How many hours can you take from this system with normal everyday usage? Can it be something like 6 7 hours?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. Erfan

Reputations:
    Today I got a quote from a Lenovo sale agent for i7, 16gb ram and 512gb ssd for $1000.99 without tax. Only $2 price difference with MC, but with free shipping! So the only difference would be $20 shipping cost and ofcourse you are buying directly from lenovo!

Does it worth the hassle to cancel my order with MC and place my order directly with lenovo?

9. swissarmyknife

Reputations:
    LOL. Musical chairs.

If you already placed the order with MC I would stick with it. You may just delay the order.

BTW, I have yet to receive a tracking confirmation for my MC order and I had to physically call them to confirm, wow, it's been a long time I had to call a business for an online order to confirm info, that's so 1990's. Anyway, I still hope to order will be here by Wednesday next week, but not holding my breath at this point.

Erfan likes this.
  10. swissarmyknife

Reputations:
    Battery live is always a touchy subject because it depends on so many factors. One review of the previous hardware (7th gen CPU/ 940MX) showed a very low lasting test of 3 some hours. Another website showed that with normal browsing it could last 8+ hours and somewhere in the 5-6 hour range with using office suites. Given that the 8th gen CPU and MX150 use the same TDP the battery should last the same amount as the claimed tests on the older versions. With a little CPU/GPU tweaking (undervolting) you might get a little extra out of it.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/lenovo-ideapad-720s

Erfan likes this.