2017 IdeaPad 720s is looking good!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by B0B, Oct 31, 2017.

1. jcf

jcf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes. I use one that people from design dep work with the Macs. It has a ethernet connection which is important to me. Note that you can not use both screen outputs (HDMI or VGA) at the same time.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B06XGWD2VT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. jcf

jcf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just to add that I was able to install another 256Gb with an SD card using the bellow adapter. It sticks out a milliliter or 2 but, since I have a mouse dongle in the usd nearby, I dont see much risk on it.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00TTFOJ4A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, putting the maximum CPU Power State at 98% seemed to solve the fan issue although I noticed some performance issues, even in other power modes like the High Performance Mode

Not sure why and, honestly, didn't have the time to put much research into it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  3. earthdan

earthdan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So like many people I have applied the 98% power state "fix", but I was searching to see if there have been any bios updates for these machines, and I have only come across a bios update for the 80XC versions dated January 3, 2018. Apparently there were some temperature related fixes to this bios. Has anyone with an 80XC version of the 720s applied this bios and if so has it done anything?

My next question is a bit stupid I realize, but has anyone with an 81BD version of the 720s applied this bios (the one for the 80XC)? Usually applying bios updates to machines not intended for is a very bad idea, but wondering if someone has been brave enough to try, and if it has done anything.

In the least, it would be great to find out if anyone who applied the bios to find out if it did anything at all!

Cheers,

Dan

4. Kretschmer

Kretschmer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 720S 15. It's a "jack of all trades" laptop, and should be approached as such:
    >Good battery life (7-8 hours browsing @ 40% brightness and stock clocks)
    >Sleek and professional appearance, with zero "gaming bling"
    >1050Ti with sufficient cooling for gaming on the go
    >Good FHD screen, though I have heard reports of bad backlight bleed on some of the HD units
    >"Tier 1.5" build quality. It's not a single block of machined aluminum, but the metal exterior is competent and firm and it overall looks quite nice.

I bought this to be "a professional laptop that can game on the side." After my XPS13 died for the second time, I needed a notebook that I could bring to a class, client, or professional event and wanted a device that would allow for some gaming on the side. While you might be able to snag a 1060 for less (Inspiron 7000), or pay more for a 1060 in a sleeker chassis (Razer Blade 14), those options have downsides that would necessitate a second laptop. The 720S gives me the15.6" screen, battery life, and appearance I need for 8AM-6PM and the 1050Ti I like for an evening of Fortnite, DOTA2, or Doom to blow off steam.

This laptop does throttle during intense gaming, but not in a way that I've noticed with a 60Hz display. The MaxQ setup seems to reduce processor speed before GPU clocks, and the games I play are more dependent on graphics oomph to hit 60 FPS. Trying to run an external 144Hz display off this unit could be trouble (maxing out CPU and GPU), but performance is excellent in my gaming library at 1080P/60Hz. If you use some sort of compute app that maxes out your GPU and CPU simultaneously, you will run into power and thernal throttling.

My unit undervolt like a champ, with -100mV on the GPU and -150mV on the CPU. These undervolts have been tested in 3DMark, IBT, and Prime95, with very low temps. Undervolted and capped at 60 FPS in games, my GPU runs a steady 1770MHz. If uncap FPS that becomes ~ 157X-175X MHz, which is equally playable if not perfect. I might be able to push clocks or voltages more but haven't had the time to dig deeper.

You will need dongles if you use a lot of USB-A peripherals, as there is just one of the venerable sockets on this laptop (plus USB-C, TB3, 3.5mm, and a SD card reader). Given this laptop's footprint I would have preferred another USB port and HDMI out.

The fingerprint reader is a nice addition, and the trackpad is not a downgrade from my former XPS13. I enjoy the keyboard but am not picky with that part.

All in all, this is a good laptop. The week I bought mine the i7/512GB unit was down to $1,200, and the it/256GB SKU has been under $1,000. At the full $1,500 I would have a tougher time recommending my mid-range SKU, as that puts you very close to the next tier of notebooks with more RAM and beefier GPUs. Also, mobile Coffee Lake is right around the corner and may offer more cores or better battery life. But Lenovo is offering a number of coupons and discounts for these models, so they've been very competitive with the XPS line. The top SKU is quite a deal for anyone who is ok with a 4K display, as it bundles 1TB of fast storage and 16GB of RAM for $1,600 (before discounts).

huntnyc likes this.
  5. Jeremy kan

Jeremy kan Newbie

Reputations:
  6. schwaaaa

schwaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    B0B and huntnyc like this.
  7. Xignalio

Xignalio Newbie

Reputations:
    huntnyc likes this.
  8. BrickToTheFace

BrickToTheFace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the same boat at this poster. Fan noise is a biggy for me, especially when "just" working: browsing, multiple tabs and apps open, BUT also video calling and watching Youtube. Also, how is the screen brightness looking? And is the battery enough to get one through the day?

A Dutch review site said the CPU/GPU are weirdly configured (at 10W I believe) and therefore hamper performance. What are your experiences here?

9. marlin29311

marlin29311 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just bought the 720s with the i7, 512gb ssd and 16gb RAM from Microcenter, and I am thrilled with this machine. I was initially worried about the fan noise as everyone seems to make it out to be some ear bleeding, unusable noise, but it's honestly no louder than my Dell Latitude E7440 that I use for work (its probably quieter than it I think). The fan ramp up and down is kind of odd I agree, but playing Battlefield 4 through the laptop speakers you don't notice the fan at all.

I've spent the past couple days getting the voltages and such settle in - I've so far seen stable undervolting on the CPU a -0.100mv, the iGPU at -0.075mv, and I've overclocked the MX150 200MHZ on the core, 400MHZ on the memory. I still need to work on the MX150 - I haven't had too much time to fine tune the voltage curve in Afterburner. Even still, the highest GPU temps I've seen are around 70 degrees C, and the CPU usually maxes out around there as well. It's definitely not the gimped MX150 (its the 1D10 variant) - I can play Battlefield 4 at 1080p on high settings and Vsync 60fps solidly. CS:GO on high everything holds around 120fps at 1080p as well. SSD is a Samsung PM961, WiFi card is an Intel 8625. I was even able to get the laptop to charge on my Galaxy S8+ stock charger, albeit incredibly slow. I plan on buying the Startech Thunderbolt 3 Dock and using that as a 1 wire solution for everything on my desk, so I'll report back when I get it.

The fit and finish of the machine is impeccable - its a little heavier than I thought it was going to be (compared to my wife's X1 carbon), but in a good way. Its as solid as a brick. No issues for me so far...definitely loving this machine!

huntnyc likes this.
  10. BrickToTheFace

BrickToTheFace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is all of that hard to do, undervolting and such?