2017 IdeaPad 720s is looking good!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by B0B, Oct 31, 2017.

1. emiliano.bolesani

emiliano.bolesani Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm also jumping into the topic! I am currently very indecisive between the Ideapad 720s 14" and the thinkpad X1 carbon 6th gen. I know Lenovo will also release the external graphic doc with a 1050 - which is specified to be optimised for the Ideapad -, and I believe might suit my occasional gaming needs (like online RPGs and real time strategy games or Civilzation VI - like, I guess that even the MX150 will do the job just fine).

The 720s appeals me for the integrated graphics and price tag, the x1 carbon for overall build quality and the ports selection (and the 2X TB3-4 lanes ports).

With all it has been discussed so far about fan noise and display issues, do you think it would make still sense to save some money and go for the Ideapad, or to step up and have a X1 carbon+(portable)eGPU?

I work as a researcher in a hospital, in terms of power the new gen i5 + SSD is more than enough to elaborate all data I have and prepare spreadsheets and presentations. I'm looking for a future proof-all rounder solution!

Thank you!!

2. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That X1 Carbon is a super cool machine! But, it's an add-on machine for you. If you want the jack of all trades based on your "all rounder solution: then the 720s is the way to go. If you want to have add-ons and the trouble shooting to go with it, aka time and money then the X1 Carbon based on your wants sounds just fine.

I personally like simplicity and that makes the 720s THE choice for me between the two.

A decked out X1 solution with the add-on bells and whistles would be quite the site. It definitely has it's place too! Especially in the battery life department! I think these have a quick charge capability that should feed about 3/4 power back into the machine in about a 60 minute charge time. I have a few clients that I would recommend this laptop too just based on that alone. They're terrible about remembering to plug in their hardware lol..

3. emiliano.bolesani

emiliano.bolesani Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much! I think I'll try to save some money and go for the IdeaPad 720s. I'm currently living in Germany, and I see we only have the i7-8550u with 8GB RAM. I was reading the discussion about potential upgrades: but that holds true for the US model only, or ALL 720s with i7-8550u have the possibility to upgrade the RAM? (most likely breaking the warranty terms)

I could buy from the US the 16GB version (and would be actually cheaper) but then I fear I might have problems with the IWS (international warranty service) in the unfortunate case I will need replacement!

4. dmivos

dmivos Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anyone have the 15" IdeaPad 720s with Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti? Is there 2 x DDR4 RAM slots and 2 x M.2 SSD slots? This laptop is better choice than LG Gram 15Z980 2018 version?

5. laidick

laidick Newbie

Reputations:
    May I know if the 512g ssd is Samsung pm961?
    Is it NVMe PCIex4 or x2?
    Would you please run a benchmark on it?

Thanks

6. mctsimo1

mctsimo1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone able to please assist on this?
    Thanks

7. Andrade

Andrade Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

I'm really seduced by the Ideapad 720s. Great CPU (i5-8250) and dedicated GPU (mx150), good battery life from what I read, ok screen (better than Acer Swift 3 I was considering before).

The only thing that makes me hesitate is the fan noise. Is it really that bad? I'm going to use it in class, and I don't want to be the annoying dude with the loud laptop bothering everyone.
    The other option I have is the Zenbook UX430UN, which has similar specs and a better screen, but it seems to have a similar fan problem and some heating problem too.

8. schwaaaa

schwaaaa Newbie

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  9. Skankz

Skankz Newbie

Reputations:

Hi Jcf!

Did you try this with a USB-C dock? In that case which one did you get, and did you also charge the computer while having it connected to the dock? I´m having trouble finding people who has a working setup like this with the 720s. Have found some docks that looks good, but since the computer comes with the proprietary connector still, im not sure what charging cable to get. Thankful for your help! / S

10. lukinpt

lukinpt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I have this USB-C dock and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Adapt...D=41gZdUHH%2BpL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I can charge the laptop using an Inateck 60W that I also got from Amazon.
    It also allows me to have a dual monitor setup, one with the HDMI port on the laptop and another with the HDMI port on the dock.

huntnyc likes this.