2017 IdeaPad 720s is looking good!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by B0B, Oct 31, 2017.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    so BOB your intially saying the mx150 in the 720s is gimped....see I was planning on overclocking it to reach 4200 in 3dmark firestrike, but your saying its limited and no way to get better performance other than undervolting....any ideas on if i should go for the 15in 720s with the 1050ti....or is that gimped also....and batterylife i plan on youtubing most of the time what can i expect with brightness on 75 percent

2. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the processor (i5 v i7) isn't really a factor in choosing which model to get. There's $200 USD difference here between the two models, and what it seems to come down to is this:

If you plan to do nothing to it out of the box with respect to RAM or SSD upgrade, get the i5 model and save yourself the money. If you think you'll upgrade it down the road, I'd go for the i7 model now. There's only 1 RAM and 1 SSD slot, so you'll have to replace whatever's there now and pay for a 512GB SSD or 16 GB stick - both separately are well over $150 themselves. $200 for both is a decent value - and less hassle. The upgrade over the i7 is just a bonus.

Unless I missed it, I don't think B0B said the MX150 is gimped on this one. I know it is on the Asus UX431UN, but this one seems to be fine.

After having this for nearly 2 months now, the fan has become a nonissue to me. At least on mine, it seems like it'll spin up and down quickly, but eventually tapers off to either a constant spin after awhile. I'm currently compiling some plugins for a vuln scanner - a pretty cpu intensive task. Not even hearing the fan now with it mostly done. Speed's amazing too doing it in a VM. On my older HD based laptops, it could easily take upward of 1-2 hours to compile the plugins. Now I just did it in about 15-20 minutes.

3. nathanhuth

nathanhuth Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Yes, I have found a way to calm this fan down. I was in advanced power options and noticed that 'Maximum power frequency' was set to '0 MHz' for both the 'On battery' and 'Plugged in' profiles. I simply changed these to my processor's native maximum power frequency of 2000 MHz. Once I did this, the fan has really calmed down. I am anxious to see if this fix has worked for others.

[​IMG]

huntnyc likes this.
  4. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does that prevent hitting the 4.0 GHz turbo at all, or just give it a hard ceiling for the base clock?

5. nathanhuth

nathanhuth Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Well, I can tell you it is not a hard cap.
    [​IMG]
    For what it's worth, the frequency I used matches Intel's specified 'Configurable TDP-up Frequency' for my i7-8550U.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Configuring the 'Maximum Processor Frequency' setting down to '1800 MHz' will in fact disable Turbo Boost. This means the processor will never go above this frequency. If all else fails in the quest for fan control, you can disable Turbo Boost.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  6. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone have the 15.6 inch IdeaPad 720s with Nvidia GTX 1050 TI MAX-Q graphics? Impressions? It does seem to be well priced thin and light machine with a good battery capacity. The squished in numberpad is a shame, however.

7. Isengrim7

Isengrim7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I'd like to ask for clarification for 720s machines and what is clear status for RAM upgrade. Unfortunately in my region there isn't option to buy 16Gb version ( neither i5 or i7 ) so I would like to know if i5 or i7 ( Kaby Lake Refresh ) do have possibility to upgrade memory. My current understanding is that i5 have got memory soldered onto board and i7 have slot ( so upgrade is possible ).

Thank you.

8. earthdan

earthdan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I actually don't have the option to change the frequency, just the percentage, which is strange. But I guess I can do the same thing if I reduce the percentage a bit.

This makes me wonder if I need to update my drivers or install a windows update or something?

9. jcf

jcf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    huntnyc likes this.
  10. mctsimo1

mctsimo1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all
    I saw someone on the first page mention that their turbo boost is disabled in the bios. However Im seeing recent posts with clocks exceeding the cpu's base frequency. Are users with the 720s / mx150 able to please check whether its originally enabled or disabled?
    Thanks for your help