]]>

2017 IdeaPad 720s is looking good!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by B0B, Oct 31, 2017.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would you recommend this laptop... And can you play bf1

2. B0B

B0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Of course I do recommend this! I can also vouch for the Acer Swift 3 but it last TB3.

Can the MX150 play BF1? It's about as good as an Xbox One GPU. Is that good enough?

3. swissarmyknife

swissarmyknife Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not really since you can't really take advantage of a RAID in 0 or 1 configuration with a single drive. Now if you were able to have two M.2's in the laptop than, yes, RAID 0 (stripe) will be able to double throughput speeds.

4. lukinpt

lukinpt Newbie

Reputations:
    How are you dealing with the annoying fan noise?
    I've noticed that on battery mode the fan is much quieter and tried to change Windows power options to use the same setting when plugged in. The noise stays the same! This is using Balanced mode.
    The problem for me is the fan not maintaining a constant speed, as it keeps going slower and faster.

I've tried to use NoteBookFanControl as sugested by jcf, but altough I can get the fan to get quieter, the laptop starts getting very hot. I've used the "Lenovo Yoga 2 13" profile with a target of 87,5%.

Not i'm considering buying a laptop cooler such as this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2S10HY

Maybe I can use NoteBookFanControl and keep the temperature down.

5. JRE84

Reputations:
    Lol... you want a cool laptop yet you don't want the fans running makes sense

I'm out

6. lukinpt

lukinpt Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm seeing 3 options here.
    1 - You didn't read the post
    2 - You've read it but didn't understood it
    3 - You understood it but just like to make stupid remarks.

All are possible but I'm voting for number 3

7. JRE84

Reputations:
    or 1 im more intelliigent than you..

you say it ramps up and down.....this is typical fan behavior.

if you hear the fan thats because its spinning faster...they spin faster to cool the laptop....how is it supposed to cool the laptop with low rpm...

8. mgr11

mgr11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!
    I bought the same model a couple of days ago. So far looks pretty good in every aspect. You mentioned about the display calibration, I use a cooler display equipped laptop before, hence everything looks kinda warm. Can you share your calibration (Intel color settings?) and gray-scale calib with lowered contrast ratio? Would like to try it out and see if its just my eye or it's natural Lenovo Ideapad 720s behavior.

Others please comment, if you have any similar experience with this device. Thank you!
    Happy new year!

9. jcf

jcf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I finally decided to buy this laptop since the battery in my old one died.

Starting with the bad news:
    - The laptop fan noise is really annoying. Specially because it doesn't seem to have a pattern for it. I'm playing Grim Dawn, a Diablo clone, and sometimes it makes less noise than with a few spreadsheets and apps running.
    - The notebookFunControl with the Yoga profile does not work on this laptop
    - We need to wait for a BIOS upgrade which will not happen unless there are a lot of complains in the Lenovo forums.
    - The battery, even in saving mode and not playing any games, just standard apps (excel, powerpoint, spotify, Virtualbox, Thunderbird, browsers), lasts for a maximum of 5 hours.

The good news:
    - You can install windows 10 pro without an issue
    - You can have two extended external monitors, with an external usb c dock
    - You can charge it via the thunderbolt port
    - The display is quite good, although a little off in terms of calibration
    - I came from a i7, 620M, SSD and there's indeed an increase in performance both graphical and in apps

If you are annoyed by fan noise this is a no,no ! Otherwise a good buy for sure, given the price.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    lukinpt likes this.
  10. mgr11

mgr11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Folks!
    So I have been testing out the 720s 8th Gen i5 (bought from the Micro-center) and the 8th gen i7 (purchased directly from Lenovo) model, both have 8GB/256 Samsung SSD and MX150 on board. Here are some of my findings:

1) Display: The display color calibration on the i5 model is just too off out of the box. Too much green to my liking, it's definitely not FAULTY and something that can be corrected in a couple of steps (reduce green and red pallete, that is it!). I edit pictures and some videos, so kinda picky here. Haven't check the panel specifications, but I guess both of them use the same panel. Click here to see the color calibration difference

2) Fan Noise: This is also something that does not bother me much but it's there. I used an old (2012 E series) Sony Vaio before my purchase of ideapad and it had better (albeit noisy) and optimized fan control, evident on loads.
    I have never used any CPU voltage customization software before, so I have no interest in playing around with the numbers anytime soon. However, to put things in perspective, I feel that i5 model is much more stable than the i7 one. The i5 model fans don't go on and off with erratic pulsation and is pretty silent on most of my tasks and idles very quickly as well. But as mentioned earlier, the Fan algorithm itself isn't optimized and is something to look forward in terms of BIOS update. One more than we can attribute this to is, when I played CS GO for a bit on the i7, the fans were pretty consistent and had controlled frequency, but when I used half a dozen tabs on chrome with a couple tabs running Youtube videos, it did not behave well, constantly running up and down with no control. I have no clue what was happening!

3) Rest of the things remain common and persistent on both the models. Battery is okay (4-5 hours on light load). The performance is pretty good overall, handles loads of things with an ease and the Samsung's NVMe SSD is blazing fast (boot-up times are a killer! Not sure why some people reported 720s with different SSDs, AFAIK, the new ones get the Samsung's, must be regional specific?). While the benchmarks show the upright difference in performance between i5 and i7, I'd say for a normal user, the difference should be minimal, unless the user is taking advantage of higher CPU power. Display is gorgeous, speakers are decent, touchpad is slick (with some minimal rattle as mentioned earlier) and keyboard is very likable. With the addition of the Win Hello enabled fingerprint sensor and in a body most compact a 14" can get, I'd say this Ideapad 720s is surely a great purchase.

I will probably keep the i7. ( Since I paid the same price for both i5 and i7 :/)
    Let me know if you have any more questions! Thank you. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018