2017 IdeaPad 720s is looking good!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by B0B, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Grigor

Grigor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys.
    I've got the machine (i5-8250u/8gb/256gb version) for a few days and it's really good. I did clean install. I had almost no issues with it except one youtube freeze on balanced battery plan (had to force shutdown the laptop) and almost unnoticeable rattling noise on max volume coming from the left side (if I haven't read about it here I would probably never hear it). All I did was to press hard the laptop from both sides in the left corner with hands and it was gone. (Weird, I know... ) I'm using only High Performance and Power Saver modes and I haven't seen any new freezes.

My CPU is -0.100mV undervolted and I've set max boost power at 35W. It's definitely stable so far.
    MX150 is always below 65 degrees, even on 100% load and High Performance mode. This value seem suspiciously low. Have you guys tried to overclock/undervolt GPU? And if you did - with what values?

2. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Coming from my GT60 with a upgraded 3920XM, 24 GB RAM, and SATA SSD, I'd say the 720s feels faster. It would still get destroyed in gaming though since my GT60 has a 970m in out. :)

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "U" chip undervolt stability from my experience tends to settle in around -.070. It's always something silly that sets these things off just when you think you have achieved stability (not that you haven't). For me I've seen "fully stable" processors bugger out when loading into a new map in BF1 for example.

Great results so far and I hope you like the new machine!

4. superguy25

Reputations:
    I will say that the 14" 720s is about the same size as my 13.3" Acer, so if possible, I suggest gong to a brick and mortar and check out a floor model. It's hard to go by numbers alone in this class.

5. superguy25

Reputations:
    Isn't there a performance hit I doing that?

6. superguy25

Reputations:
    I've updated with latest Realtek driver and removed Dolby as I still have crackling.

7. superguy25

Reputations:
    I have with no problems. Just download the drivers you need from Lenovo or the vendor.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  8. superguy25

Reputations:
    Or just use MS's media maker and it works just fine.

9. lukinpt

lukinpt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't use because I didn't know if it would use the latest version of Windows 10. Does it?

10. superguy25

Reputations:
    I went and downloaded the latest. Updates didn't seem to take terribly long.