2016 VAIO S & Z Hands on

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve78, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve78

Steve78 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I quite like the simplicity & minimalist design of the new Z series. It's classic VAIO. I presume the complete lack of driver updates & support will also be classic VAIO.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what? o_O with thunderbolt 3 should can turn an ultrabook or any notebook with the port to a gaming device with an external graphics card module connected via thunderbolt for example. There are many other features like daisy chaining.

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

anytimer likes this.
  3. electronicsguy

electronicsguy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    except that thunderbolt is too expensive, based on proprietary tech and hence will never work at scale. heck, i haven't met a single person as yet who even used a thunderbolt external drive. USB 3.1 and ahead will eventually take over the role of connecting to a external graphics module and hence thunderbolt will become extinct. if not today, in the near tomorrow. But USB will go on....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  4. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thunderbolt 3 includes USB 3.1

5. SurferJon

SurferJon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do we know when they're getting the Flip in the MS Store? Or when they would usually be in the MS Store after a notebook manufacturer puts it up on their own website?

6. dacow55

dacow55 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got my hands with one of these whilst transiting Tokyo (to replace my dead vpcz228 that Sony Singapore wanted me to pay USD1500 plus service fees just to replace the motherboard).

Unfortunately, stock specs were not that great (custom specs will take min. 2 weeks). Highest stock spec available for the z was i7 6567u with just 8gig and 256gig PCIe (both not user upgradable just like the previous z2). Paid Y260000 for it, roughly USD2300.

Will comment on it further once I'm fully on the ground on Monday.

7. ehosey2

ehosey2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^ I am interested to read about your experience with the new Z. I personally am leaning towards the non flip Z laptop with the 2560 by 1440 screen but am interested nonetheless.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

8. ehosey2

ehosey2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just got my hands with one of these whilst transiting Tokyo (to replace my dead vpcz228 that Sony Singapore wanted me to pay USD1500 plus service fees just to replace the motherboard).<br /><br />Unfortunately, stock specs were not that great (custom specs will take min. 2 weeks). Highest stock spec available for the z was i7 6567u with just 8gig and 256gig PCIe (both not user upgradable just like the previous z2). Paid Y260000 for it, roughly USD2300.<br /><br />Will comment on it further once I'm fully on the ground on Monday.<br/>

Any update on your thoughts of the VAIO?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 5.

ascariss likes this.
  9. kirbyasdf

kirbyasdf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll probably order the VAIO Z Monday or Tuesday. Currently on Pro 13 and the fan is starting to be more noisy than ever. I could probably fix it but I'm interested in seeing what the newer version is about.

Couple of videos that shows the laptop but unfortunately nothing too spectacular; also in Japanese. If I'm not mistaken, I forgot which tech review site is going to review the Vaio Z soon.

pau1ow and ehosey2 like this.
  10. kirbyasdf

kirbyasdf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Typing on the new VAIO Z as of now. Initial impressions are its pretty good, feels like a Macbook without the OS and the trackpad that I personally dislike. No fan noise, no WIFI issues yet but who knows might come up later. Everything is so far so good - better than the Pro 13. I especially enjoy the native resolution 2560x1440.

Maybe I could answer a few questions if someone is wondering. Let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.