2016 VAIO S & Z Hands on

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve78, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve78

Steve78 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ascariss likes this.
  2. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I would not expect a euro release anytime soon, unless Vaio decides to bring in new models during IFA later on this year. The price in the US, base Z flip with core i5 starts at 1799 US, i7 with 512GB is I believe 2399 US, maxed out specs. Even if it was sold in europe, I'd expect something along the lines of euro 1799 for start, which would not be worth it. Granted all are made in Japan now, but the designs are getting old. You can check out the video review here.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hmscott likes this.
  3. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They don't look any different/better than the S and Flip from 2+ years ago.

4. manson

manson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    and they arent, s13 is same laptop as pro mk2, only us layout keyboard added, pretty shame they giving outdating spec laptops
    s13 is japan will recive some cosmetics add-ons as a new colors and so on (living in japan, saw some promotional stuff)

5. XanderD

XanderD Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't see how the new S13 is much of an upgrade compared to my 2012 S13.
    8GB RAM vs 12GB on the old version.
    No more clickpad, also the touchpad seems much smaller than the previous S.
    No more bluray drive.
    Doesn't look like it has switchable graphics.

Only pro is the battery life, 1080p res display and new Skylake cpus.

6. emev

emev Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess you were only talking about the Z, but just to clarify:
    Only the Zs are made in Japan (Z Canvas - though its keyboard is made in China, Z Flip, and probably Z Clamshell will be too).
    All the other Vaios are made in China.

In the comments section of the Digitaltrends article about the Vaio S someone wrote that the S should be the Z, and the Z should be the S. While I think that the S/Pro13 design should be improved (e.g. the palmrest and the keyboard should be made of the same piece of metal, like on the VPCZ/SVZ), I completely agree with that.
    Sony introduced the flip design in the mid-range Fit series and it was never something outstanding (the idea of the flip screen is cool, but not the design). Vaio took that and refined it into the Z and the result is not outstanding either. While the Pro11/13's design was taken from the high-end VPCZ/SVZ series.
    Whenever I went to Yodobashi or Bic Camera recently and approached a Vaio stand, my eyes stopped on the Pro11/13 or sometimes the Z Canvas. The Z Flip never sparked any interest in me.

7. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wouldn't know, I've not read anything about where the others are made, but yes I was only referring to the Z, since Lisa on the video showed the made in Japan logo.

@XanderD, it is not an improvement since the model is not an S model, it is the old Pro 13, and it is a shame the trackpad is smaller. I feel if Vaio wanted to innovate the should have introduced a new or updated design but no. In the end, Vaio will either return to Sony (unlikely), be sold off to a Taiwanese firm (become their high end model line), or will merge with toshiba and fujitsu as was rumoured last year. I don't trust Sony in running Vaio in the future, especially when they are severally failing with the Xperia smartphone line.

8. ascariss

ascariss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If anyone cares the new Z flip is up for pre order now on the us vaio site, pricing is steep, 1799 start for i5 with 256/8gb, i7 with 256/8gb is 1999, and the i7 with 512/16gb is 2399, all in USD. I swear I saw the Z also up for pre-order this morning, identical pricing, seems gone for now. Expected shipping is Feb 18th for the flip.

Shame about lack of a thunderbolt port.

9. electronicsguy

electronicsguy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    no shame in that. I'm glad it's gone, the way of firewire.

10. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As said before, it is based on the Pro 13, not the S13 so it's noticeably smaller (just look at how narrow those bezels are compared to the S13), thinner and lighter (and thus has a smaller touchpad, no dedicated graphics, no extra RAM expansion slot, no optical drive, etc.). It also has a Full HD screen compared to that rather poor 1600x900 screen on the S13 (which I couldn't stand so replaced it with an IPS one).

It does add touchpad buttons to the mix which is new (but is a plus in my book), but given that its reusing the previous design (which I actually like and hope the battery life is much improved), I'd still probably go for the Dell XPS 13 which is even more compact.

The new Z looks pretty ugly IMHO with that indented keyboard and lacking the sharp lines of the previous Z series (but I don't really need the screen flip and dislike touchscreens altogether so it depends).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.