2016 ATIV Book 9 with Skylake: 13.3" and 15.0" Silver versions

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by droyder, Jan 5, 2016.

1. droyder

droyder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Announced today at CES. Models do not appear yet in Samsung Update, as some specs are still being finalized according to the report.

No aesthetic changes in the chassis from previous ATIV 9 generations except for a new 180-degree hinge.

They've gotten lighter, though battery life appears to suffer as a result..

15.0" - 2.84 lbs/1.29 kg
    13.3" - 1.85 lbs/0.84 kg

Display: 1080p Glossy, Reflective non-touch (YUCK! WHY SAMSUNG?) :vbmad:

Like a mirror..

[​IMG]

More photos & details here:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/10...dows-10-laptop-announced-ces-2016/in/10483423

go45cvi likes this.
  2. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very interested in the 15" (in a 14" chassis) if it has acceptable battery life. But I don't like the color or gloss.

3. droyder

Reputations:
    yeah, the Broadwell version was silver and glossy as well. i'm guessing only the 9 Plus/Pro models will be black going forward.

the 15" at least has USB-C with quick charging, whereas the 13.3" doesn't.. why not is anyone's guess.

[​IMG]

4. uberbook

uberbook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Impressive how they brought the weight down by ~25% for the 13". What material is it made of?

Glossy is a no-go though. My X3E will be happy about another life extension.

droyder likes this.
  5. notebookhelp

notebookhelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's a matter of preference, but I prefer glossy screens so this is a definite contender for me so long as they don't skimp on quality like they appeared to have done for the skylake quad core 15" versions with the 4k screens.

Keyboard layout is good on the 15" and the color of the laptop is fine (imho). Waiting on reviews for more information about real world battery life, touchpad quality/responsiveness, and ease of replacing SSD with one of higher capacity.

6. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's a shame. Also don't understand why they didn't go with type c on the 13" instead of the same old mvga/mhdmi. No way to connect a 4K 60Hz monitor.

7. droyder

Reputations:
    it's made of magnesium. combining that with a smaller battery reduced the weight.

yeah, this won't replace my X3E either. i'm not necessarily looking for a replacement, but like to keep my eye on the market.

at this point, it doesn't appear that Samsung will ever make a matte display again, so the next best option would be the ThinkPad X1 Carbon or Dell XPS 13 which both have that option.

8. jdell

jdell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I still love my series 9. With 16Gb of RAM in mine, i wonder if these will be upgradable in any way to more memory. Much to my own surprise, the 2013 model Series 9 15" i'm using is still adequate. I'm just glad the rumors of discontinuing these (ie: Samsung getting out of the market) are UNTRUE!

9. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm hoping that there will be a matte option for the Pro versions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
  10. droyder

Reputations: