2016 and Beyond: What are we missing in laptops/notebooks?

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I don't see it as a "good guy bad guy" thing. Just companies who bother to do decent engineering and those who don't. But in the end, you'll have customers who will buy the crap no matter what anyway. The types who see "thin bezels!" and don't stop to think if it's actually decent, you know?

Papusan likes this.
  2. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ... I'll just disagree with you then before I spend too much time here arguing. It was fun man! Great insight by you that I respect.

3. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I want a laptop with a big socketed APU chip kinda on par with whatever console grade graphics are at the time something like the am4 where it supported 3 generations of chips.

Then split me off a 8x PCIe lane to go to an open standard connector kinda similar to MSI ge stealth book they made.

Would make that gaming dock eGPU viable or at least more so.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

cucubits likes this.
  4. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    As much as I don't like single purpose data ports, a dedicated PCIe is one that I'd really like to see. Something that's explicitly for an eGPU but not proprietary to a manufacturer.

NuclearLizard likes this.
  5. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pretty much. And really you can plug anything into that enclosure that is PCIe compliant.

Personally I think I would try to place it as an expansion bay.....maybe rip out the CD drive in favor of that.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

6. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    I recall Lenovo doing something similar, but they made it a hot swap bay. An interesting concept for sure. One I've been kicking around in my head would be a sort of hybrid solution. Something that attaches to the case but is more shaped like part of the laptop. It's outside and removable and contains everything needed to make the particular piece of hardware work. Like conformal fuel tanks on a fighter.

7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    This was done in the y400/y500/y510p/y500

There was also a mod that made that port into a eGPU but lenovo had a whitelist of sorts so it only worked with AMD GPU. Many of those that wanted something like that used the RX 480/580 and I think there were a few Vega 56 systems as well.

8. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Those were the ones. And the egpu wasn't hot swap like the extra fan or drive or whatever else you could put in there I think. But still it was something.

9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah except the fan and hdd basically never really existed, vaporware of the highest order, along with the 755m5/750m5 SLI GPU. It burned me from Lenovo for years. If you DID find the GPU online more often than not it didnt work due to a BIOS limitation that was never patched, not to mention updating to 8.1 broke SLI (had to get vBIOS update) at the time. It was an excellent machine with essentially no support and promises that were never delivered.

I only recently picked up a used t440p because of the i7 4980hq I already had and everyone else already tested this machine to hell and back (plus it was 80 USD)

So yeah it exists, just a long list of crap alongside it.

Product support would be a nice addition to the thread I think lol

10. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    I was having trouble remembering exactly why it didn't take off, there it is.