2016 and Beyond: What are we missing in laptops/notebooks?

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 1, 2015.

1. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What's the display limit on running a screen off USB 3.2 v. 2x2?

Concur that 4k x3 isn't the most sensible gaming option for a laptop at present; though I'd be hard pressed to ever go without 4k anymore.

I can see why the slide-out option will be falling out of favor soon. Laptop segment is trickle-down from smartphone segment. And the current "new hotness" that smartphones are trying to work out, is folding displays. I think this is where laptops will be headed--although they may not simply "fold flat". Perhaps something like a roller-shade that can be externally plugged into a laptop chassis (sans screen).

2. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure that the new standard is but with usb-c using the DP standard you can chain 2 displays iirc. I'm thinking about using it if I get a thunderbolt dock.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

Aroc likes this.
  3. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Packed pixels is about to come out with 2 mobile monitors. One of them is 4k resolution 15 inches and hangs on the side of your laptop monitor. You can put one on each side. I feel like this will be the closest we get to project valerie.

4. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is less dreaming but more a realistically cool way for the XPS 15 to differentiate itself.

Background.
    Right now, the 15" premium market is hot, with the Aero 15x, XPS 15, Razer Blade, MacBook Pro, Asus ZenBook Pro, etc. all being really, really strong products in their own unique ways. With Dell about to release an XPS 17 next year, which will realistically have more focus on performance with larger thermal headroom, this could allow the XPS new opportunities to fit within the lineup.

The XPS 15 is kind of lost right now as it hasn't really been redesigned since 2015. There are now 15" competitors that are both more powerful (Aero 15X, Razer Blade) in not much heavier cases, and 15" products that are slightly more portable (MacBook Pro).

What Dell could do is make an ultraportable computer with the same performance as the current model. The lightest and smallest full-powered laptop out there.

-Eliminate the screen chin bezel while keeping the other bezels the same size, effectively reducing the footprint to a ridiculous amount for a 15" notebook. ~10% smaller footprint, ~3.75 lbs
    -Keep the same battery (97whr) for the current 8 - 10 hours it has now
    -Keep the same processor options (H-class)
    -Keep the same graphics card families (mid-tier class as it is now)
    -Keep offering the 1080p screen for people who want battery life, while offering the 4k version for people who want a better quality screen
    -Port selection: 3x USB-C, 1x USB-A, SD-Card reader, Headphone Jack

To do this, Dell would have to do some clever redesigning of the inner chassis to not allow for flex as it currently is, but perhaps some sacrifices need to be made:

-Keeping only one m.2 SSD Slot as it currently is, although most other competitors have 2
    -Get rid of some of the unused space on the topdeck where the keyboard and trackpad are with close consideration for keeping comfort and not feeling "cramped"
    -Eliminating an open RAM Slot, currently individual SO-DIMMS appropriate for the XPS 15 can go up to 32 GBs, so while competitors may have 64GB options within the next couple years, the XPS 15 will be stuck at 32... but is that really a problem? How many people are even going to purchase 64 GBs of RAM? Software hasn't caught up with the hardware for the past five years.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Idk if I’d call any of those laptops “strong”; popular maybe, but they’re all rather garbage tbh. Pretty much all of them (except the vapor chamber Blade) thermal throttle to hell, the XPS still has coil whine issues, the Aero’s display is hilariously fragile (don’t pinch it or it shatters), MBP has the keyboard and display defects, and Razer/Asus just have some really poor quality control and build quality.

That said, it seems like defective, “pretty” laptops are the future of laptops...

Arrrrbol and Papusan like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, design before functionality. It’s Sad!

Ashtrix, Aroc and Arrrrbol like this.
  7. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well when people are more willing to pay for the name than the practicality, why spend the extra dosh to improve it?

Ashtrix, Arrrrbol and Papusan like this.
  8. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you have statistics, numbers, or anything objective besides complaints online to back any of those claims up?

If they were really THAT bad, would they be allowed to sell them?

I'm not even a Dell fan, but my 9570 has been great.

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    For the QC issues, there are the owners’ threads here on NBR and elsewhere. Normally I’m with you on dismissing most user reviews (since it tends to boil down to “it rocks 5 stars” or “I hate it no stars”), but where you have a number of users reporting the same issues (such as the Razer Blade battery swelling, or just the entirety of the /r/MatebookXPro subreddit), that’s something to take note of.

As for the thermals, I’m referring to testing via ADIA and Heaven at the same time (puts a full stress on the CPU and GPU), and seeing if ADIA reports and thermal throttling (and/or hwinfo reporting power throttling, such as is the case for the Thinkpad X1E). If there is throttling, it means you’re not getting the performance that you paid for when buying X CPU and Y GPU; at best you’re a getting sub-X and sub-Y performance for X and Y price. More than welcome to try it out yourself:

Brands as a whole don’t really matter at all; you need to pay attention to individual models and judge them to their own merits. Overall I like Dell as well and am happy with the 7577 (not to say it’s perfect; the display is garbage), but Dell makes both decent (older G series, Latitude 5000/7000 except the 7390) and bad units (most of the Inspiron line, XPS, Alienware).

Papusan and Arrrrbol like this.
  10. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's why I'd like to have a THICK 15" laptop that will tear through games and doesn't overheat.

Aroc and alexhawker like this.