2016 and Beyond: What are we missing in laptops/notebooks?

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I'm sure there is more dissatisfied people than you think. If not you wouldn't see articles like the one in PukeGreen. + the one right below.

2. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    These who own the GL-series line from Asus: Are they all affected by this? I had a repair once where the client tried to explain to me how, depending on the hinge position, the vents can be partially obstructed. Her setup had the 6700HQ and a GTX 1070, its' the exact model I can't recall right now.

Apparently, on this particular build, you had to leave the hinge in a certain position to ventilate properly.

3. Yurulan

Yurulan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It appears to be the case with at least with the fx502 and it's bigger brother, the GL502 from skylake and kabylake models. No idea with the new coffeelake ones whether they fixed this somewhat substantial oversight or not. Your client likely had a gl702 based on that spec you gave me. Not surprised in the least if one of the high end models (gl702) is affected as well. The chassis design is fairly similar across all 3.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  4. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for proving my point, a normal consumer will not care.

One article that was only posted due to the i9 debacle from Apple. If they had the firmware that prevented to i7 from being worse than the i9 in from the start no one would care.

The industry has a "problem". To improve performance Intel and AMD can no longer rely on manufacturing process shrink, so they crank frequencies and core count up.
    For a desktop PC this isn't a problem, most people have decent cooling and even stock coolers are better now.
    But in a laptop that ideally shouldn't be heavier than 3Kg it's getting very hard to have a proper cooling system.
    Even after the recent complaints, the truth is that currently ppl have very good performance in laptops/DTRs. You have CPU/GPUs that can rival desktop counter parts. A thing that would be hard some years ago (at least in the graphics department).

Aroc likes this.
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    im a normal consumer. people can be good or interested in one or two things. we are all normal consumers, we just happen to know computer and interested in it. though i get your point, i thought i'd point that out to you, sometimes you just gotta let companies know dont have to accept their bs.

6. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are an informed one. I'm tempted to state that 90% of people don't care to read reviews, and the other 10% only half of it dig a bit deeper that some online reviews.

I also forgot to add that I find the current state of CPU performance appalling. If you can't reach a certain level of sustained performance, please don't advertise it.

triturbo and Aroc like this.
  7. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I want to see all the wasted surface area of laptop screen backs put to better use. I want a machined aluminum panel shell with cooling fins and a closed loop liquid circulating design worked in through the hinges for some passive radiative/convection cooling. Weight weenies be damned!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    triturbo, Yurulan and Dennismungai like this.
  8. heretofore

heretofore Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    (1) I would like to see (21:9) 2560 x 1080 displays in laptops.

(2) Create a "form factor" for laptops. Standardize the dimensions and locations of internal parts.
    Create coolers which can be used for these standardized laptops. off-the-shelf coolers for laptops would be so fun!
    As much as possible, use desktop parts because they are often cheaper than laptop parts.

9. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sliding laptop screens like Razer's project valerie but different in these ways:

1. Silding screens are removable. I can have the laptop either like any other or attach the sliding screens onto it. This is more convenient for someone like me: a uni student away from home. Use the extra screens in my flat or LAN parties, leave them when going to lectures and carry them back home for the holidays
    2. 1080p / 1440p 120 / 144 hz panels. Triple 4K gaming currently doesn't make sense with our current hardware. Even 1440p is a stretch.
    I'm hopefully gonna work on a little DIY project to implement this :)
    Just waiting on some funds to come through to buy all the materials needed and scouting some public workshops to work on it.

gt83vr6reHelp likes this.
  10. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are little screens that do that though I haven't seen or heard anyone that actually got anything from them.

One of the ones I was interested in was powered by the USB-C port. Was pretty cool.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk