2016 and Beyond: What are we missing in laptops/notebooks?

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Kurgo

Kurgo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The only way you might move seamlessly from one device to tne next, right now and in the foreseeable future, is within apple's hyper-enclosed ecosystem, to be honest. At least so far as you need a laptop/desktop to do serious stuff, a chromebook is probably even handier as the google assistant is better than siri right now. But for microsoft-licensed tech...not happening, especially since microsft has effectively abandoned most "smart" markets and products.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Honestly, I’d rather have a keyboard and mouse/touchpad/etc than to have a voice-controlled/hand-gesture anything. It’s hard enough to get voice-controlled software to work well with whatever cherry-picked voices used during development/testing, let alone anyone with a “weird” accent, speech impediments, etc. Similar issue applies for hand gestures; not all gestures are universal (https://savageminds.org/2008/09/28/how-not-to-signal-stop/ gives an interesting example).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Aroc, Georgel and alexhawker like this.
  3. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did I already mention cooling? Like how I'd rather have a thick laptop that can sustain extended gaming use...rather than something "thin and chic" like the gigabyte I have?

I tried playing Overload in 4k on my laptop...and it will do it splendidly....for about 10m until the GPU is hot enough to boil water. It's sad when you know your display/gpu can handle the game...but he form factor makes it choke. So I'm stuck playing 1600x900 because anything higher disagrees with the GPU.

P.S.
    CPU/GPU fans are both set to 100% manually.

Aroc, triturbo and alexhawker like this.
  5. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:

I think there's room for both types of systems. The fact that "thin and light" is currently more common and trendy is disheartening for some, but big thick desktop replacements with big cooling systems aren't really going anywhere.

Aroc and Jarhead like this.
  6. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    I'm not saying i want a 5" laptop. But there's a lot more to be said for MSI's 15" form factor & the cooling it can provide...than Gigabyte's. I get that this is a niche market. It's unfortunate, because it's the market I'M IN...and a desktop is not a viable option for someone on the go as much as I am.

Aroc likes this.
  7. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    True. I think it's going to be a while before anyone's expectations can include 4K, cool, quiet, ok or better FPS, and 15.6/slim though.

8. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    Well for whatever it's worth, I will compromise on size AND noise. If you built me a 4k with a 1070 in a 15" that was 2" thick and had fan noise like sitting next to an A/C unit--but it NEVER had heat issues...I'd be interested.

Aroc and alexhawker like this.
  9. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    x2 I believe the next development for mobile computing will need to see better solutions for cooling, in order to really progress with performance.

10. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: