2016 and Beyond: What are we missing in laptops/notebooks?

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    You can use any reasonably old device running Windows 10 as wireless display via Windows Connect feature. It works great! Older devices can only act as receivers, though, and 802.11ac adapters on both devices involved are strongly recommended.

2. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For light productivity use, that might be ok or get you by.
    But that does not allow use of devices that can only output video by direct connection. Like the example a few comments back, such as a PS4.

No point in arguing the utility of such a feature. It would only be beneficial.
    Sadly though, it does not look like it will ever be a reality. One can dream...

3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I wasn't trying to say no one could find utility, but it was tried before and didn't really catch on. Add to that there is extra expense, engineering, physical space on the board, an extra port, etc, the demand has to outweigh that and I don't believe it does.

4. BeastsForever.TheDragon

BeastsForever.TheDragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I heard a linux os named "LineageOS" who makes custom roms for mobiles are working on a desktop varian, that can run any application of windows and linux!
    Anyways the lineageos is oneof the best mobile os I've flashed on my phone, and if these rumors are true, we all are going to be obliged!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That would be awesome. I'll be interested to see what happens with it.

6. Shaddy

Shaddy Newbie

Reputations:
    I just want a power cord that doesn't come unplugged so easily. I had an ASUS for about a week that clipped in, loved it (didn't realize the BIOS was so locked down you couldn't tweak the raid). but other than that the connectors seem to pull out so easily.

Georgel likes this.
  7. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Clevo power plugs do not slide out easily AFAIK

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Some of them do. I think there are some QC issues that cause some to fit correctly and stay plugged in, while others are sloppy loose and can fall out when moving the laptop. But, I had the same issue with some of the Alienware, Dell and HP laptops. I think it is sloppiness in the AC adapter socket soldered to the motherboard more so than the tips on the ends of the AC adapters.

Shaddy and Georgel like this.
  9. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Interesting fact.

BTW, I also became a PC user, but with a smaller build than you did there :)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Jungstar

Jungstar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I want a laptop that is made for
    • Email - > I want to sort by hand gestures. And voice. Alexa built in that helps with email and split into saved and planned tasks.

• Writing and office work - > again keyboards are so year 1800. Please read my mind and help me structure my thoughts.

• Scheduling and management - > where are the laptops that help manage time and projects. So many bad apps.
    For the pc to really move i think we need software to be Much better. Cortana is just a joke right now. We need much better inputs and really understand the Problem people are trying to solve. Yes, slimmer is nice but I think we need to look at different device types and expect phones, phablets and laptops to merge... I want to move seamingsly from one device to the next. The next good laptop is an IA powered eco system of devices from smart ear buds to watches to phones and tablets / laptops.