2016 and Beyond: What are we missing in laptops/notebooks?

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    After visiting with our friends at Eurocom about their quest to drive the future of computing technology, I decided to pose the question to the community to brainstorm as many ideas as possible.

I could not identify a perfect sub-forum for it, so I chose this one. It is not for one company, but all of them. Hopefully, they will be paying attention. I know that the Eurocom Team will be, and hopefully at least a couple of others that care enough to be disruptive.

As the thread title suggests, this thread is not for one specific OEM and not a place to list out the features that you want in a notebook/laptop if those are available already. Rather, it's a twist on your typical wish list and poses the question about what we want to see that is not available.

In other words, no need to mention 4K. That's already here and starting to become popular. No need to mention an eGPU contraption. We already have a couple of those available. No need to mention thin and light... we already have a plethora of options like that.

What do you want that IS NOT available?

Yes, WILD and CRAZY ideas and concepts more than features are what we want here.

Think the exact opposite of this thread: Current design fads in laptops that you hate.

Let imagination be your guide and assume all things are possible in the future.

Dare to hate the status quo.
    Innovation and the future go together.
    Innovation is capability to create the future.

The only stupid ideas are those you keep to yourself. After posting your ideas here, see if the company you do business with has a suggestion box email, and use it. Point them here as well. If they not, or even if they do, feel free to use the email suggestion box that Eurocom has made available: future@eurocom.com if you would like to.

The more ideas we share, the brighter the future can be.

I will go first in the next post.

Jarhead, oveco, toughasnails and 8 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    First, I want:
    • X99 laptop with 5960X CPU
    • Delid from the OEM/Reseller
    • Three-way SLI
    • 1KW AC adapter
    • Internal liquid cooling for CPU and GPU (please, no desk-bound colostomy bag for the GPU a la ASUS)
    • No more plastic laptop bodies... metal, metal and more metal in the chassis
    Second, I want AMD to make a comeback and kill the monopoly that NVIDIA and Intel have on the industry.

Third, I want a real, full-fledged, fully functional OS replacement for Micro$oft Windows. Since they have lost their way and are trying to do a one-size fits all OS loaded with spyware, the Redmond Mafia is no longer adding value to being a PC owner. I want a new OS that can run anything made for Windows; not a half-baked Linux that only does some things well... and not something from Apple. Something fitting for the hardware mentioned under my first want.

Vasudev, steberg, Kent T and 11 others like this.
  3. Schwabe

Schwabe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Detatchable screens: easily "pop" off the panel so you can tuck the main chassis somewhere under your desk or by a TV in the living room for when you are not mobile.

Detachable panel is particularly prudent for using said panel in a multi-monitor setup. Desk space is prime real estate - it's nice to use a laptop in a multi-monitor setup but if you have a dedicated mouse and keyboard in this arrangement, and why wouldn't you, the bottom base/keyboard of the laptop is big useless block taking up unneeded space on the desk.

ErikO, ajc9988, danielschoon and 3 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I think that is a fantastic idea @Schwabe. I hope more people offer innovative suggestions like that. Thanks for your post.

[Nikos] likes this.
  5. [Nikos]

[Nikos] Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I love this idea. I have created a FasterPlan so we can vote and get the most voted at a glance.

http://www.fasterplan.com/dd6VsQ35xK

You can create/modify or delete options. :)

Let's vote! :)

PS: Again outstanding idea.

jaybee83 and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Keith

Keith Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    One idea that just popped into my head, that I don't recall seeing before, is putting on the bottom of a laptop something similar to what you have on the bottom of keyboards where you can extend plastic tabs to pop up the back of the keyboard.

Put something similar on the bottom of the chassis that is perhaps made of metal or extremely strong plastic to support the weight of the machine. Unlike a keyboard though that just has the two in the back, put four on the bottom of the chassis. One in each corner. If they are "foldable" just like those on the bottom of the keyboard, you could choose to prop the front, back, or the whole thing. Most people always say to prop up the machine if you can for better ventilation/cooling, and the rubber feet on the bottom of the machine typically serves no purpose other than preventing scratches on the surface of where the laptop sits.

7. Tulius

Tulius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    An added option to choose real gamer 120/144 hz panels, <2ms (no 3d crap) like found in BenQ monitors, more mechanical keyboards(MSI idea) and a minimum 5 years full company support with new BIOSes as necessary in case new unsupported GPUs arrive in market. Oh and all ideas above this post =D

8. 2bad0

2bad0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Enthusiast Laptops deserve enthusiast system setup menus (efi/uefi/bios),No need to give us locked down stuff (at best keep all life threatening options under some bio-hazard tab or something with useful explanations).While at it don't solder the bios/eeprom/flash chip down make it removable like desktop motherboards or even add dual bios/eeprom for backup in case of failure.(no i don't want to put prema out of a job,we will always need him).

Give us a dual cpu rig.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    ErikO, Mr.Koala, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just a minor idea, but bring back physical display latches on big notebooks. My HP 8740w has two heavy duty latches which don't come undone unless I press a button. Display latches are important for bigger notebooks since their displays are heavier, and magnets sometimes aren't strong enough to hold them together with the chassis, especially if you're carrying the notebook at your side with the front of the chassis pointing upward.

Another one: for 17.3-inch and larger notebooks, actually design a keyboard that takes advantage of the width, with full-size numpad keys. 15.6-inch notebooks with numpads almost always have 2/3-sized keys in the numpad so they'll fit, which is understandable, but it annoys me to see those same keyboard put on the 17.3-inch models. That's cost cutting. I want a full-size numpad.

Charles

Convel, Apollo13, Kade Storm and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    All excellent recommendations, guys.