2016/17 ATIV Book 9 with Kaby Lake COMING SOON: 13.3" and 15.0" versions

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by droyder, Sep 9, 2016.

1. emiliano.bolesani

emiliano.bolesani Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys! I am following this thread since I'm in the market for a laptop with dedicated graphics, ssd, a nice screen and thunderbolt 3 connection.

I like very much this Samsung, which is priced now around 1399$ new
    (I honestly feel like it's a hp spectre 360 15" without touch and with a macbook pro aesthetics - I don't dislike it at all!).
    But for about the same price you can get a certified refurbished xps 15 i5 - 256GB with a 4k display (Dell outlet website).

Now, portability isn't a big deal for me but build quality/loudness/cooling are. I heard many conflicting opinions on the xps 15 build quality and noise, not much about the samsung (also because I believe number of buyers/feedback don't compare).
    Don't necessarily need the computing power of the Dell, I believe the Samsung can deliver all I need - just trying to find the best compromise here. Can anyone comment on this based on experience with the two?

P.S. the thunderbolt 3 on the Samsung is two lanes? Or it's like in the xps 15 which in the end works half speed?

Thanks again guys!!

2. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have bought Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Thinkpad and Samsung laptops. I found the Samsung to be the most reliable and trouble free by far!
    Check out the forums before you buy.

3. emiliano.bolesani

emiliano.bolesani Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for sharing!

What makes me wonder are all the comments on the "cheap feel" of this notebook 9, and the ease which it gets scratched. I'm very careful with my stuff, but I don't feel comfortable with paying $1400 and then have the fell of something cheap. Might sound trivial to many here but I'm using it mainly for typing and home recording, besides a good processor I really don't require high computing power.

Although I was kinda a notebook enthusiast some time ago (when I was gaming with it during university), now I want a machine which feels solid and delivers the goods of recent R&D in terms of screen and speed. In these terms I was thinking on moving to apple (MBP 13 - 2016, I have no problems with adaptors), but even refurbished+discount (due to my job) I'd bite my lip since the hardware improvements are non existing compared to the 2015 model, although build quality is premium.

I found the answer regarding the thunderbolt 3 on the samsung: it is an actual full speed thunderbolt 3.

4. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Helen Chevy How did your SSD drive upgrade go?
    Could you share the steps?

5. Helen Chevy

Helen Chevy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got the sticks a little on the late side, but have them now (an NVME for the 15" and a SATA III for the 13.3) - my plan this weekend is to save the setup files to a thumb, install the new stick (keeping the existing one for backup), install W10 Pro, and then the setup files from the thumb. Think it will work?

I had originally planned to use the Samsung clone utiltity to copy the drive over to the new stick but I do not have anything that will accept the new stick (USB>NVME) as a target drive while I copy. I do have something for the SATA, so maybe I will try that one first.

huberth likes this.
  6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    People have recommended using Macrium Reflect (I've not used that software) to make a backup image on an external drive and then restoring that image onto the new SSD.

The one possible headache is finding the right NVMe drivers and the risk that the new SSD doesn't play well with the driver already installed.

John

huberth likes this.
  7. schmendrik

schmendrik Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  8. StoneRose

StoneRose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone else having problems with their laptop waking from sleep on opening the lid, but then immediately going back to sleep (new Notebook 9, 13 inch)?

Also - anyone else noticed the screen seems to get scratched by the keys?

9. zenzei

zenzei Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm the weight of the 15 and 15 Ext version? I see one seems to be 2.17 lb and the other one 2.73 lb, but i don't understand why such difference, it's only because the dedicated Geforce?
    Besides that, is there any other difference? Both have HDMI, MicroSD and headphone/mic ports?
    Thanks in advance,

10. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Look carefully at the battery capacity. There was reportedly a model with a very small battery, but I do not see it on the US site now. Just an 8GB without nvidia and 16GB with. Then there is the slightly heavier Pro 15 with AMD and touch.