2014 Razer Blade 14 Ship Date thread

Discussion in 'Razer' started by Porter, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzfisch

zzfisch Newbie

Reputations:
    Ordered a day after you, same situation here, and they didn't reply my inquiries which I send them last week. Getting so frustrated about their CS.

bladebambach likes this.
  2. charliemike

charliemike Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's probably about the money. Razer is a for-profit company and they want to maximize their income while minimizing expenses. So if you have 100 orders of 128GB, 100 orders of 256 GB and only 5 orders of the 512, Razer is going to pour all their resources on the 128 and 256 models.

Even without having to retool their factory to install a 512 HD, it still makes sense for Razer to hold off on the 512 while fulfilling the 128 and 256 models. It saves them money from having to source a 512 upon delivery and the cost of losing a few customers on the 512 side is minuscule compared to what they would lose if they shipped the 512 before the 128 and 256.

Of course this is all assuming that more people bought the 128 and 256 models than the 512, but I don't think that's an unrealistic assumption. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear about people putting in their orders for the 128 and 256 models today getting their laptops BEFORE the 512 pre-order folks.

EDIT: It's also not in Razer's interest to give us an exact ship date. By giving us a week-by-week notice, they know that most of us will keep the order and won't look elsewhere.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well given Razer's ridiculously transparent pricing strategy over overcharging for higher capacity SSDs if they had any sense in the first place, they would have offered expedited processing of 512GB orders whereby an 512GB order would processed ahead of all the 128GB and 256GB orders. I am sure they would get a lot more orders that way for their most profitable underlying product. Retool a factory...lol.....

4. YodaGoneMad

YodaGoneMad Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My problem with this is the 512GB is clearly the most profitable model, while the 128GB is the least profitable. It does not cost them anywhere near the like $500 premium to get a 512GB SSD. It probably costs them less than $100 more in parts for a lot more in profit. They probably make as much profit on a single 512GB as they do 3 or 4 128GB models. Thus, people like me, who chose to pay that premium, are getting screwed.

I don't know, it is just silly. If it is a supply issue or whatever then let everyone with a 512GB order know and offer to let us downgrade, or do something. Don't just wait until the ship date, push it back, rinse and repeat for 2 months straight. Even just communicating better would help, why is it being delayed, what is a realistic date? Basically, they have done everything wrong when handling the 512GB orders, and these are their premium customers who they make the most profit on. These are the customers that will buy bags, mice, extra AC adapters, etc. The total value of the premium customer is astronomically higher than the people buying the cheapest models.

5. charliemike

Reputations:
    I'm sure Razer is banking on their product to speak for them. Service be damned, if they have the sexiest gaming laptop on the market we'll put up with their terrible service; we'll let them make a dime off us 512 buyers as long as we get our machines. The gamble is, how long can they keep us on the hook before they lose enough of us that it costs them money?

Of course this could all be a supply issue, which still could be handled better than the "we are sorry but your order has been delayed due to an unforeseen issue outside of our control" emails. Again, why should they tell us anything? We'll still buy their product...

JeffAW likes this.
  6. charliemike

Reputations:
    In any case, are there any viable alternatives to the Blade 14 yet?

7. twistedspace

twistedspace Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the prices really arent that different.
    if they sold 5 512s thats 5 x 2,699.99usd. = 13,499.95usd
    if they sold 200 256s. thats 200 x 2,399.99usd. = 479,998usd

we know people bought 128s and 256s more than 512s because its a mid model and everyone just thought they were going to change the ssd out or put in a second one.

they are making more overall profit on the lower models

charliemike likes this.
  8. Jp904

Jp904 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Called CS again today, as my order wasn't shipped over the weekend (I was told it would be last week). Was given the usual run around, then told that the next expected date is somewhere between 5/9-5/23. I asked about why they said it would be 3-4 weeks for shipping, and they just gave me the run around again. No real response. Getting tired of waiting each week, only to have the date shifted each time, the day before it's "supposed" to ship.

I don't have much of a choice, though, there's really nothing to compete with it available yet. If there was, you better believe me, that if would have already cancelled and ordered something else.

tripnskip likes this.
  9. jon.coxote

jon.coxote Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you are not a gamer... the Dell XPS 15 Touch, has many of the same specs, including the same screen resolution, it will double your RAM and give you more ports in a carbon fiber body, at the expense of the graphics card, which is GT 750M. But despite the carbon fiber, it looks kind of boring, imo. Also the estimated ship date is 5/12, if ordered today. So Razer might, I repeat, might ship before a dell could, at least for me. My date slipped to 5/9 for a 512 ordered 4/6, like many others here.

10. John566

John566 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just canceled my 512GB. I may go with a MSI GS60 Pro or wait to see what GPU is in the new rMBP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.