2014 Asus N550JK -DS71T quick mini review and opinion so far

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Benchmade 42, Apr 12, 2014.

1. guv_cyp

guv_cyp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow! Really? I wasn't aware of such a thing to be honest. So the Optimus technology in N550JV and JK is different than JX? I'd like to read more about this. Can you post some links here?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I was responding to @hquser with his setup (see his post a few posts back).

3. guv_cyp

Reputations:
    Lol sorry about that :D You should've quoted him...

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If I don't quote it's because I am responding to the post directly above ;)

5. guv_cyp

Reputations:
    This is becoming childish. I'm not new to the concept of "forums" man, you posted your message after me so I assumed it was for me... Get it?

6. Shunsai

Shunsai Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So can someone break it down really simple for me, where things stand with N550JK, Windows 10, and Intel graphics drivers? Since upgrading to W10, I'm seeing artifacts when I start playing videos, and every now and again, the Intel graphics driver will just crash (usually my Firefox browser window).

Using the Intel Driver Update Utility, it never detects drivers for the iGPU, and instead tells me to check with the manufacturer. Are there any drawbacks to replacing Asus' Intel drivers with Intel's own? I only have a vague understanding of the switching that Optimus does between iGPU and dGPU. Is Optimus an Intel or nVidia technology?

7. coercitiv

coercitiv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Upgrade to latest compatible driver from both Intel and Nvidia. I haven't been using Asus' drivers for a long time now. If I remember correctly you may have to uninstall the Intel driver from Asus before you attempt to update with the Intel build, there's some kind of OEM check in place and the driver from Intel will refuse to install.

Other than that, the situation with Win 10 and Intel/Nvidia drivers has been problematic from start: blue screens while playing games with Nvidia enabled were not uncommon. Situation has been gradually improving, latest drivers are quite stable.

8. SoChoiceMuchHard

SoChoiceMuchHard Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a couple problems. But I'd first like to know if there is a way to search this thread alone for solutions like they have on XDA etc? I don't see that option on this site.

Anyways, my laptop had the screen flickering problem, probably due to its display cable, which i tied down with a ziptie. That worked for the most part.

The Problems
    1. One fine morning, I decide to boot up the computer and my display is all black. I hooked it up to a t.v and it works. I can still use the touchscreen, there's just nothing being shown on the actual laptop display.

2. No game launched with Steam, without Steam, and using the "Use High Performance Nvidia...." option is making use of the 850M. It's all running on integrated.

Both these problems came up at the same time.

So i'm guessing its a driver issue or some part of my hardware has shorted.

Does anyone here have any idea why my laptop decided to downgrade itself into a paper weight?

I've already tried
    1.Updating display drivers(It said i was using the latest one)
    2. Restarting the computer
    3. Taking the battery out and restarting?(I'm not sure i did this right)

I'm thinking about
    1. Updating windows files
    2. Updating/Reseting BIOS
    3. Using system restore
    4. Let it collect dust in the basement

I'm at my wits end

9. hquser

hquser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not quite sure about black screen part.
    About GPU issue, In order to use Discrete GPU you must has to install Intel Graphic Drivers provided by ASUS official website.
    Intel graphic drivers provided by windows update breaks the graphic card switching mechanism.

10. hquser

hquser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Recently, for cleaning purposes, I disassembled my Laptop.

everything went fine but few days after when I plugged my external subwoofer, it would simply not work. There was no sound coming from the subwoofer.

To check the problem I re-assembled the laptop but the problem exists.

I also tried to update & reinstall my drivers and even tried to check the subwoofer on Ubuntu but on both OS, there is no sound at all from the subwoofer.

Can anyone please tell me what did I missed?