2014 Asus N550JK -DS71T quick mini review and opinion so far

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Benchmade 42, Apr 12, 2014.

1. fabiodiazs

fabiodiazs Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just fixed it! The problem was in the power settings department, as I suspected. What I did was: right click on desktop / graphic properties / power / select "on battery" tab / and then disable the option Display Power Saving Technology. It was an instant fix, all I really needed was a little more time, it was a very simple solution.

Thank you a lot for the help anyway (also to meaker). I'll still keep in mind doing the clean install mostly because of the HD thing. That guide looks really helpful, so thanks a lot!

2. Bruninho

Bruninho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @hquser did u solve ur backspace problem?

I have it too! :(

3. hquser

hquser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately the problem persists and due to my business and lack of screw drivers I couldn't do much towards it rather than just tolerating it.

I personally believe that this issue is caused by loose keyboard connection.

Once I get the proper screwdriver to disassemble the laptop, then I will try replugging the keyboard plug and check if it solves the problem.

Else I believe, I have to buy the new keyboard from ebay and then replace it.

Apart from it, I also has got broken 3.5mm headphone jack on this machine,
    I will also look on it how can it be fixed. which I personally believe will require just plastic soldering.

Apart from it, I am really disappointed by ASUS engineering flaws and aftermarket software support and updates.

Hope it helps.
    Thanks!

4. sepulchre

sepulchre Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. Pardon my laziness - I didn't read through all 133 pages in this thread to se if this has been discussed.

I love my ASUS N550JK, it's Awesome. Just found one problem:
    The subwoofer works great on videos, games and everything Except when I'm using an Audio Workstation such as Reason or Studio One. This prett much sucks because that's when I Really need it. Anybody else run into this? Is there some solution? I can't use headphones All the time, my ears will fall off even though I do have nice ones.

5. Bruninho

Bruninho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I will try to reassemble it. I have it (the problem) since the first day, but i thought it was software problem. :(

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Keystroke issues are normally more firmware/hardware issues.

7. hquser

hquser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's really a shame for ASUS that since after the release of N550JK, they are not frequently releasing updates for this machine's drivers, especially for widows 10.

Windows update on windows 10 automatically installs Intel Graphics Driver which breaks the hybrid graphics switching mechanism and causes frequent BSOD after sleep. Even more grain of salt is that windows 10 now has no option to hide unwanted updates.

I am literally amazed for their NO response to missing keystroke problem (its ASUS touchpad software related issue). It's been over 1 year and yet they haven't done anything to fix it.

macrint likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It's a model I would say not to bother updating due to the custom driver nature, stick with 7/8.1.

9. guv_cyp

guv_cyp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As a user of the fellow N550JV model (which I adored in every way except Windows 8 that's come in it, and have been waiting for Windows 10 for a long time really), I certainly have all the right in the world given to me by Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10, and both of our devices are MORE THAN capable of running Windows 10 (The only difference between them is the GPU, you guys having GTX 850M and us having GT 750M). Did you guys know that there is another "UPDATED" version of our laptops? The N550JX. This device has got the SAME chipset and the SAME CPU basically (N550JV has i7 4700HQ while N550JX having i7 4720HQ, the only difference being a slightly faster clock, all the architecture and everything are the SAME) but a GTX 950M instead, and to me, that means nothing really. I don't play games very much on GT 750M so I don't care about that to be honest. What I really care about is that, this device was buttery smooth on Windows 8/8.1, even on battery, but now even when plugged in, the device is SLOWED DOWN somehow, and trying to browse some webpages has become a pain in the a** (not to mention that the Intel HD Graphics driver installed automatically crashes most of the time, even while working on a basic Word document, honestly!!!). This is obviously a driver/software optimization issue, but Asus has forsaken N550JV/N550JK and only updated N550JX properly, which I say again is the SAME device with a newer GPU that's all. Shame on Asus really. I should've opted for a Macbook when I had the chance instead of N550JV I get it now.....

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The earlier versions used a different GPU switching mechanism I believe which is why they are more difficult, modern ones should use the usual optimus.

That's the issue going with a custom switching solution that does it on the fly, it's been an issue for years.