2014 Asus N550JK -DS71T quick mini review and opinion so far

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Benchmade 42, Apr 12, 2014.

1. hquser

hquser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do have recovery images but gosh they are more than 20GB which will take at least a month for me to upload... Basically ASUS has putted all the recovery images for this machine in its original HDD's partition named "recovery" which can be easily accessible if you live boot linux.

2. mondie

mondie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey thanks.. I'll try and do that, but I'm actually a little reluctant since the hard disk is making the clicking sounds already. Do you happen to know a guide or something you could point me to in order to boot linux? Sorry, I don't know about linux as much. Thank you!

3. Gtanner00

Gtanner00 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The Asus support site for the n550jk has all the drivers and utilities that shipped with the original drive. I find it a much better option to clean install windows on a laptop and then load those back on.

The power4gear utility is specifically under the windows 8.1 section.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. fabiodiazs

fabiodiazs Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    haven't tried that. I'm a little scared to do it, honestly.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it's got something to do with some kind of power mode that's messing things up.

5. fabiodiazs

fabiodiazs Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    that's not an option for me... Is there a way for to update the drivers via Intel directly? Or maybe Asus has other drivers from other models that work just fine.

6. Gtanner00

Gtanner00 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Why is that not an option? I want specifically saying you should reinstall windows. Just find the chipset and atk drivers from the ASUS support site and install the executable .

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The Intel chipset and vga drivers can be got from intel directly but if you are not confident in your ability to install them then you will want to speak to your reseller.

8. fabiodiazs

fabiodiazs Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    just updated the intel drivers. It was incredibly easy and I had in fact a lot of old drivers, but unfortunately none of the updates fixed anything. Another thing to note is that I bought my laptop on Amazon US but I'm not from there, so anything to do with the seller or amazon won't work for me.

9. fabiodiazs

fabiodiazs Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah I meant the reinstalling Windows part. I don't know, I guess I'm kinda scared to do it. If I mess something up it'll be very hard for me to fix it (I live in a country where those kind of services are either terrible or extremely expensive). But I'm more open to it everyday if it means fixing this. Also, I would be able to configure the HD to one partition right? Having two is extremely annoying.

10. Gtanner00

Gtanner00 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes. That is the only reason I originally clean installed windows. Now I've done it a few times more in both Windows 8 and 10.

Microsoft has solved all the strange licensing problems that happened in the past when they released windows 8.1 and 10. An 8.1 install tool will look for your license key automatically in the BIOS. 10 will load windows and then get online to verify that your computer has run Windows 10 before.

If you already have upgraded to Windows 10 this is the guide to follow. http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

If you have windows 8.1 still have a look at this guide http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ecisions-with-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-1/

The important piece of equipment you need is an 8GB usb drive to create the install media. Like I already said all the Asus drivers can be found on their site but I can list the ones you need if you choose to go ahead.

If you have more questions about the process I can definitely give a clearer explanation.