2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Did you also install de brigthness fix from samsung update, besides changing featuretestcontrol?

Dannemand likes this.
  2. thirdeyechai

thirdeyechai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had installed the brightness fix from Samsung. With a little more fiddling I've managed to get it working again. This time I've create a restore point and hopefully have learned my lesson!

Dannemand likes this.
  3. jawatkins95

jawatkins95 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I'm doing some work to refresh my 880Z laptop. I purchased a keyboard/upper bezel assembly and a no-name battery to try and squeeze a little more life out of this thing. I have a few little issues with mine; namely that the touchscreen is broken and I have a selectively unresponsive keyboard. Also, as typical the battery dies in about 45 mins to an hour of light web use.

I'm currently running on Windows 8.1 with stable drivers and working brightness. I would like to be able to update to Win10 for software compatibility, but have had the typical issues with that update in the past.

What is the state of the union of Windows 10 with switchable AMD graphics on these machines? Is it worth futzing with all of the hacked drivers and what-not or should I just stick with Win8.1?

4. Tiz-

Tiz- Newbie

Reputations:
    NP770Z5E: I am running Win10 21H1 plus latest Leshat drivers (from 2016) plus Samsung brightness control patch plus registry fix f008. Everything is working (including switcheable graphics). I will definitely not use W8!

However, I will be unable to upgrade to W11 (without disabling TPM checks etc.) because the Laptop features only TPM 1.2. Moreover, I am unable to turn on the modern security feature core isolation because the old Intel/AMD (being part of the Leshcat package) are not compatible.

In the meantime, I have bought several other laptops (including Dell XPS 13 and Gigabyte Aero 17 HDR XD). But this good old Samsung laptop is just incredible. One of the greatest. I love it!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021 at 1:31 PM
    Dannemand likes this.
  5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thank you for this post. Great info relating to Win11.

The fact that we are stuck with Leshcat AMD drivers is THE problem. It really is disgraceful that neither Samsung, Microsoft nor AMD provided updated support for switchable graphics on these laptops.

I personally use Win8.1 with Classic Start Menu on my old Samsung NP700Z3A (two generations older than yours). But I WAS able to get everything working with Win10 (including the infamous ExpressCache, which you don't have to deal with). I still have it on a second bootable partition. I just found Win8.1 to be faster and smoother than Win10 because it does less background work.

My main computer is a much newer HP desktop, and on that one I use Win10. Win8.1 support ends January 23, and newer PCs only support UEFI anyway.