2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. rslewis

rslewis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great, the registry hack for the brightness worked a treat. Thanks :)

I've also managed to re-install the older Intel HD 4000 drivers so everything now works as it was. Phew!

Another question on graphics, sort of related to my previous one about a 4k monitor - I can go into custom resolutions on the HD graphics but when I try to use a 4k resolution, even at 24/25Hz i get an error message that it's outside the maximum allowable, even though I thought it should be able to drive 4k at a lower refresh rate. Does anyone have a set of width/height/refresh which works?

Alternatively, should i be using the AMD graphics and, if so, how?

Thanks

Dannemand likes this.
  2. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This was my experience

3. rslewis

rslewis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    John pointed me to previous posts (#5944 to #5946) which showed that forum member "Brink" was running NP780 at 4k. Brink hasn't been on here since 2018 so i can't ask him how he did it, hence my post about what do i input as a custom resolution.

I accept the limitation of a lower refresh rate (due to bandwidth on HDMI 1.4) but both Intel HD 4000 and AMD Radeon 8800 should be able to display 4k resolution according to their specs. I just want to be able to do that.

4. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005540/graphics.html

I would try to both lower resolution and reduce color depth

5. CHIRIAC CRISTI

CHIRIAC CRISTI Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I apologize, I don't know much English so I use google's help.
    Recently, I bought a Samsung from the local market with the following motherboard: Samsung BA92-14180 Ativ Book 8 870Z. Apart from the battery, it is complete. The problem is that it doesn't start, meaning it stays frozen on the Samsung lgo. If I press f2 etc, "please wait" appears in the right corner and it stays that way no matter how long I wait. I disassembled everything, I replaced the RAM, HDD, etc., it still doesn't work. Besides the fact that the battery is missing, I noticed that one of the slots is not occupied by anything. Can anyone help me find out what was connected there?
    Thank you !

The place on the motherboard I was talking about :

https://ibb.co/VQfPYsY

6. CHIRIAC CRISTI

CHIRIAC CRISTI Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry, double post !

And if I was still wrong with the double post, complete here.
    I tried everything I found on the internet, I never managed to get into the bios, I couldn't get past the samsung logo. I disassembled absolutely everything, I started it without certain components, in vain.
    The only weird thing is that free slot in which I didn't find anything when I disassembled it.
    Be careful, it's not the one on the battery.
    I think it's a motherboard problem or corrupt bios.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  7. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You can see a posible solution here
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/samsung-accumulated-unbricking-solutions.775777/

Maybe emergency flash of bios though USB?

CHIRIAC CRISTI likes this.
  8. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Did you solve it?

9. CHIRIAC CRISTI

CHIRIAC CRISTI Newbie

Reputations:
    No.
    I will send it to service. Will see.

10. thirdeyechai

thirdeyechai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I decided to Reset my PC the other day without making a backup or Restore point (feeling like a complete idiot right now) and now I've lost the ability to adjust the brightness on my laptop. This issue has plagued me at various times throughout the years of owning this laptop and I (also stupidly) never wrote down how to fix the problem.

Previously I had both the Intel and AMD drivers working with brightness control.

At the moment the only way I can control the brightness is by disabling the 8700M driver and using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter instead of the Intel HD 4000.

I've modified the entry in the FeatureTestControl entry in the Registry as per other threads advice and tried uninstalling and reinstalling various versions of both drivers to no avail.

Does anyone have a solution to get both graphics drivers working on Windows 10? I'm at my wits end.