2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. rslewis

rslewis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's great, at least I know it will work, either at lower frame rate or slightly lower resolution. I don't use this laptop for gaming or heavy video stuff so a lower frame rate would probably be ok for me.

My son has a fairly new gaming laptop which is one reason for buying a bigger 4k screen but I didn't want to get one and find my chronos won't work at all.

2. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, I went to my fathers house to see if it would work plug and play. On a np770z5e with a faulty radeon vga (and special flashed bios without that dedicated vga) I wasnt able to use a 4k display. On a np670z5e with aca i5 and working radeon vga 8850m I also wasnt able to run 4k. With a gigabyte aero 15 oled I was able to use 4k.

Im guessing maybe the laptop can work on 4k if you moddify the driver to tell the vga to support that frecuency

3. rslewis

Reputations:
    Anybody know where i can purchase a new "genuine" Samsung battery for my NP780. There's plenty of places that say they supply genuine OEM Samsung batteries but all the pictures on their websites don't say Samsung anywhere!

I've tried a "non-branded" battery a few months ago but it just failed last week with no warning. Just stopped working!!

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I looked at Samsungparts.com, which is our go-to reference for parts, but I did not see any batteries for NP780/870Z5E models. I think we have to assume that they are not being produced by (or for) Samsung anymore, given the age of these models.

Maybe others have suggestions or firsthand experience buying replacement batteries for these laptops.

5. rslewis

Reputations:
    Thanks Dannemand. If it's no longer listed as a Samsung part then I will just have to trust my luck to another un-branded battery.

I'd still welcome anyone else's feedback on batteries or suppliers they've had success with in the past.

6. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    To my understanding the only posibility to get an original battery would be to go to a certified repair shop from Samsung, I really doubt Samsung will sell the spare battery just like they don't sell the batteries for smartphones.

Also, since this is a 7 year old laptop, I doubt there are any original batteries remaining in the world. In this case, since my family owns like a docen of this laptops, when one of them gets broken I purchase an entire faulty laptop and replace the parts that I need.

Dannemand likes this.
  7. rslewis

Reputations:
    I just knew I shouldn't have messed, but hey, I'm that type of person!!!!

Enticed by the Intel Driver Update program I let it update my HD 4000 driver to the latest version (Jan 2020 15.33 etc). Bad move! I now have a very dim screen with no brightness control, resolution all looks wrong (even though it is set correctly) with very small icons and text that's decidedly fuzzy.

So, I figure, no problem just go to Device Manager and roll back to the previous driver. No chance, the option is greyed out. Now what do I do?

All advice appreciated (except the bit where you berate me for being so stupid!!)

8. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Every time you update the drivers for the Intel or Radeon adapter you might get this problem. Solution is to install the brightness patch from samsung update or do the following:

-------------------------------------------------

Wanted to post the solution provided on the link John Ratsey provided
    Quote:
    "I was struggling with the same problem with my Samsung 770Z5E for many many long monthes,
    and none of the possible solutions indicated so far worked for me. Until today, when I found a solution on another similar thread:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ics-4000/64c255eb-517f-44d7-8af3-b5cfd7c4b79d
    In my case the problem was solved by setting the value of
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001] "FeatureTestControl"
    to "f008". I'm using the latest Intel drivers."
    In my case I have an external VGA, so I didn't had any luck wich 0000. In 0001 the wasn't any "FeatureTestControl" option,
    but in 0002 I had luck. As written above, many thanks to John for keeping us updated with solutions to our problems in so many years.
    Great notebook by the way.

-------------------------------------

Or both things

9. rslewis

Reputations:
    Ok, I'll give that a go. Will it solve my fuzzy text issue too, or just the brightness?

10. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations: