2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I finally rolled back from Win10 to Win8.1 last year on my NP700Z3A (even older than these AB8). I managed to get everything working just fine with Win10, including AMD graphics (using Leshcat drivers) and ExpressCache (using an updated Lenovo version with my Samsung LMF file).

But I got tired of Win10 always being too busy with Microsoft's business and not having enough time for my business. That was even on Win10Pro with system updates under control (using Group Policy).

To me Win8.1 with Classic Shell is a great sweet spot: It's like a faster, leaner Win7, without the heavy visual ornamentation. It will continue to receive security updates until 2023, but no more feature updates. In other words, Microsoft keeps it safe, but they don't otherwise mess with it. Just what I want :)

N0W3 likes this.
  2. N0W3

N0W3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for your responses!

I installed AMD graphics using Leshcat driver, but it started to appear weird bugs. There was black screens appearing and my brightness turned to low only. And I tried to install Express Cache using Lenovo version but it did not work on my system...

I reinstalled the original drivers so at least everything is back to normal except for being able to use the AMD Radeon graphic card.

I don't feel like going back to Windows 8 at this moment, I might just keep it this way unfortunately... But thank you for your time, at least I don't feel alone in this!

It's frustrating to see how Samsung is'nt reliable to the products they sold couple years ago.

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I apologize, I should have been clearer: The point of my post was merely to support @surfict's case for rolling back from Win10 to Win8.1 -- not to suggest that you use the same driver fixes on your AB8 as I used on my NP700Z3A, which is an (even) older generation.

First off, AB8 doesn't have ExpressCache, so installing that would never work. And second, my AMD graphics switching is a generation older (PowerXpress vs Enduro) which is why I have to use Leshcat drivers. Win10 does have PowerXpress drivers, but they forgot to test them, so they come with bad side effects.

Others in this thread (and the Samsung Win10 thread) have managed to get Win10 working on older laptops. But since Samsung published certified Win8/8.1 drivers, it also makes sense to stick with those versions. Particularly since there are other things to dislike about Win10 as well. In my opinion :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  4. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi to all, since I bought an AERO 15 Oled i9 I've been out of this forum, but fortunately I remembered to check. As I've said in the past I have more than 10 of this laptops of their variants in my family (NP670 / NP770 / NP870), all of them on windows 10, so maybe I can help

@N0W3 : Are you willing to format your PC in order to have the radeon work? I have a proven solution for that problems, "IF" it has a solution
    The NP770 doesn't have expresscache
    The brightness problem you had is known to windows 7, 8 and 10. The solution is to install the patch with samsung update, and also to check regedit, as I've posted before:

----------------------------------------------------
    Wanted to post the solution provided on the link John Ratsey provided
    Quote:
    "I was struggling with the same problem with my Samsung 770Z5E for many many long monthes,
    and none of the possible solutions indicated so far worked for me. Until today, when I found a solution on another similar thread:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ics-4000/64c255eb-517f-44d7-8af3-b5cfd7c4b79d
    In my case the problem was solved by setting the value of
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001] "FeatureTestControl"
    to "f008". I'm using the latest Intel drivers."
    In my case I have an external VGA, so I didn't had any luck wich 0000. In 0001 the wasn't any "FeatureTestControl" option,
    but in 0002 I had luck. As written above, many thanks to John for keeping us updated with solutions to our problems in so many years.
    Great notebook by the way.

--------------------------------------
    You need to install samsung settings for the hoy keys to function

@surfict : You are right this laptop is amazing, It the equivalent of an I5 9300H, just much much cheaper

@Dannemand : the drivers that will work on windows 10 are
    win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.5.1-may23
    win64_15.33.46.4885

I have an image of windows 10 that can be installed with macrium reflect that will always work, as long as your graphics card isn't bad. It "only" weights 26 GB. That will delete your hard drive, but you will get a 100% proven windows 10 installation with all the drivers.

Dannemand likes this.
  5. brakza

brakza Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all! Please help me....

I am in the middle of my exams and ofc my trusted ativ book 8 broke...

It stopped charging and I didn't noticed and shuts down. Then it won't charge at all or turn on. It only blinks then sometimes turn blue on the left light and power off again.

I have tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happens. Same story. Any tips? The charger outputs 18/19v.

Hope for tips! All my data is on that fkking laptop...

6. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, any issues before the failure? Maybe the dedicated Radeon VGA was faulty?

7. brakza

brakza Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, yes and no.

I had issues with it not charging at random times but when plugging and unplugging it usually started charging again. Also the cable to the screen was starting to get glitchy so the screen only worked in certain positions... but don’t see how this should affect it not charging or powering on.

8. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That sounds like an electrical problem.
    Also the screen glitchy could have made a short circuit.
    I would try a different ac adapter, but if that doesn't solve the problem, then you only can try to remove some hardware. In this laptop that means

Remove second memory
    remove wifi card
    remove hard drive

Also try an external monitor.

Dannemand likes this.