2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Try a different build of windows 10, it happened to me on one build and the solution was to install an older version then update.

Dannemand likes this.
  2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The NP770/780/870/880 (collectively AB8) was released with Win8 and officially supported by Samsung for Win8.1. So certainly Win7 cannot be the only OS to work.

I ended up using Leshcat drivers (google it) on my NP700Z3A in order to get the AMD switchable graphics working with Win10, and disable updating of those drivers by Microsoft. But my model has the older AMD PowerXpress graphics switching, whereas the AB8 has the newer Enduro graphics switching. The only other issue with Win10 was the ExpressCache feature, which required using a newer Lenovo version of the software. But AB8 doesn't have ExpressCache -- and again, it is a generation newer than my Sammy.

I personally went back to Win8.1, but that was merely because I don't like Win10, not because of unsolvable conflicts with the laptop hardware.

You could try (1) either a clean install of Win10, using the drivers recommended by @faeterov and others in this thread; or (2) factory restore to Win8 using Samsung Recovery, then upgrade to Win10 from there.

3. Semuel

Semuel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I never had problem with switching graphic not in 8.1 or win10. But now I have problems with overheating...I broke my head over reason. I went as far as changing thermal paste multiple times and checking everything 3x. Turned out it is driver issue. Haven't figured out what to do. It is quite simple, insane thermal throttling. Reason igpu and amd is working in crossfire. Don’t know why or how. But result is too much heat for cooler to handle and awful fps. Destiny 2 gets ~30fps until it overheats completely and freezes out pc.

Dannemand likes this.
  4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That was exactly the problem I had with Microsoft's AMD drivers: I found they were running permanently on the AMD, and running pretty hot at that. Or they would hang for a long time during boot if EnableULPS was enabled in registry.

After trying various things I got tired of wasting my time, so installed Leshcat drivers. The newest Leshcat drivers I found to still work on my older NP700Z3A are 14.4. But again, I have the older AMD PowerXpress graphics switching, not the newer Enduro that you have.

You also have to run Microsoft's Windows 10 Show/Hide Updates utility to stop them from overwriting the Leshcat drivers all the time.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. Semuel

Reputations:
    It is nightmare to find any information about this. 99.99% results are about forcing app to run on descreate and no results about them running togher unintentionaly...
    also leshcat's drivers don't help in my case - 14.4 refuse to run and newer have this problem. Only thing is that after aplying cryonaut paste laptop seems to handle temps...but again 30-35fps in destiny 2...
    I am not even sure what couses problem, intel or amd drivers, or win itself.

6. Semuel

Reputations:
    And problem was not in drivers or heat trasfer, but god damm game it self. runned fure mark and 100 utilization...delete game settings and same...

7. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Try me setup in post 6227, I do not have any problems with overheating in the 5 np770 / np670 I have.

Dannemand likes this.