2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hey Matt!

It's been a while. Good to have you back. And glad to hear your AB8 is still going (somewhat) strong.

I'm afraid I don't have much to suggest on question (1) beyond what you've already tried. Sounds to me like a hardware problem (ribbon cable or keys themselves) but you already checked that. You could boot into BIOS settings and test some of the dead keys in there (say, the NumPad as cursor keys).

On question (2) I ended up going with good old version 2.0.0.89 of Samsung Settings, even after updating my Sammy to Win10. Mind you, my NP700Z3A is an older generation than your AB8, but as far as Win10 compatibility I had no issues. I since went back to Win8.1, not because of Samsung incompatibilities, but because Win10 infuriated me, increasingly so with each new version. But even on Win8.1 I still use Settings 2.0.0.89. Check this post in the Easy/settings thread for how to find it.

On question (3) I don't have much to offer, other than to try uninstalling ALL Samsung Bluetooth drivers and rely entirely on Microsoft drivers.

Good luck. As always, please keep us posted on your progress :)

2. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi:

1. Changing the keyboard is the only way, it's really cheap on ebay, I've had to replace 2 of the 5 np770s I have
    2. I posted a solution to the brightness problem in the new versions of windows 10. Neves had problems with the setup file I have for samsung settings, you want me to share it with you?
    3. I allways have problems with bluetooth on a new installation of windows, in my case it's related to a setting on windows to reduce energy consumption of bluetooth. Solution is to never let the bluetooth dongle go to sleep.

Hope it helps somehow

Dannemand likes this.
  3. hazel246

hazel246 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, to anyone whose Windows updates get stuck at 42% with the juggling dots freezing. If like me you tried hours looking for solutions, disabling graphics drivers, clearing out the software distribution folder, fighting with Windows update to suppress yet another attempt.....

Try this: once the download has finished and the installation phase starts,
    "unplug the network cable [if you use one] and switch the WiFi setting to OFF".
    Yep, and that's it. [..at least this is what did the trick for my NP770]. There was a little delay at 84%, but no actual freezing.
    Found this little gem of information in the small print of some other website and thought I share it here. Hope it helps some of you.

Dannemand likes this.
  4. damouk

damouk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm sad to say my NP770Z5E has finally been replaced. One of the fans has started making a grinding noise so it's been replace with a Dell XPS (which is amazing, but sad too see the Samsung go :-(, I loved that laptop).
    I am going to sell the NP770Z5E for spares though, as the battery, screen and all other components apart from that fan are in great condition, just a few scratches on the case and the hard drive has been removed. Any takers (UK) before I put it on ebay, make me an offer and allow for shipping?

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi damouk,

Great to have you back here. Sorry to hear that your Sammy wore out, but that's what happens when good gear gets a lot of use. We have a very active Dell forum here on NBR, I am sure you'll find XPS compatriots there :)

You can't sell your Sammy here in the Samsung forum. But you have enough posts that you can sell it in the NBR Marketplace. That's a very attractive place to sell gear, because we have a targeted demographic of experienced laptop owners as members. In fact, it is so attractive that we regularly get new members who sign up just to try to sell their stuff -- and we have to tell them they can't until they have made 100 quality posts: We only want "real" members selling here, not newcomers who come only to take advantage of our members. But you qualify and are good to go! Make sure you use the form wizard to create your For Sale thread.

Again, welcome back!

6. amald

amald Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Feels like I'm beating a dead horse with trying to fix this laptop, but I figured it was worth asking you all before deciding to buy a new one. I have an NP780Z5E-S01UB, and I recently did a fresh install of Windows. The reason I wiped my computer was because I noticed my DJ software (Serato) was stuttering, which was unusual. Unfortunately, even after wiping my computer, the issue still remains.

After the wipe, I'm having issues with getting my graphic drivers back to how they used to be. I went to AMD's website to download the most up-to-date drivers for the dedicated GPU. Just like everyone else, I lost my brightness control, so I went to Device Manager and just the Microsoft Basic Device Adapter instead of the Intel 4000 Graphics. However, once I did this, I lost "Switchable Graphics" menu under my AMD Radeon Settings, which you can see here: https://imgur.com/a/QpCkKOt

Is there a certain version for these graphic drivers that I should be installing instead of the most up-to-date ones? I have only installed drivers for the AMD GPU, and nothing at all for the integrated Intel graphics. I'm just frustrated at this point because I have been battling issues with this laptop for quite some time (fan died, charging issues, keyboard clicks not recognizing, etc etc), and now I am unable to do any DJ gigs until I can resolve this and not have any stuttering with the audio that's being played out-loud.

If anyone might know how I can retain that switchable graphics menu (so I can set it to high performance in my DJ app) and also retain brightness control, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

7. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ive had this problem, in my case it gets resolved with the following combination (other combinations also work too).

1. Install win64_15.33.46.4885.exe driver for intel HD graphics
    2. Install win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.5.1-may23.exe driver for AMD
    3. Install 0009-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R282.exe driver for audio
    4. Install samsung settings
    5. Install samsung update
    6. Install Win10 Brightness Control Patch 0.1_10.18.10.4242

That should do the trick for everything to work. You might still not get brightness to work, that is due to windows, not the driver the solution comes from my own quote

--------
    Wanted to post the solution provided on the link John Ratsey provided
    Quote:

"I was struggling with the same problem with my Samsung 770Z5E for many many long monthes,
    and none of the possible solutions indicated so far worked for me. Until today, when I found a solution on another similar thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ics-4000/64c255eb-517f-44d7-8af3-b5cfd7c4b79d

In my case the problem was solved by setting the value of

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001] "FeatureTestControl"
    to "f008". I'm using the latest Intel drivers."

In my case I have an external VGA, so I didn't had any luck wich 0000. In 0001 the wasn't any "FeatureTestControl" option,
    but in 0002 I had luck. As written above, many thanks to John for keeping us updated with solutions to our problems in so many years.

Great notebook by the way.

-----------

Dannemand likes this.
  8. Weifinsd

Weifinsd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As today, anyone knows if any of the issues has been solved? I'm still running the laptop just with the integrated graphics on windows 7 :( . Plus that, I'm regularly gettin a blue screen bc of a USB driver issue

9. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There are no issues in windows 10 with this model of laptop, as the 5 I own in my family all perform well, at least for the age they are.

10. Weifinsd

Weifinsd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I tried to go win10, the laptop entered in a failed boot loop. Only OS that has worked for me has been win7