2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Helloooo,

My trusty Samsung Series 7 Chronos np770z5e - the track pad has stopped working for some reason or an another. I'm currently using windows 8 (not 8.1) and just want to check if there is safe way to update the driver? Or is there something else I should do in order to get it working again?

2. Marco_NR

Marco_NR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which W10 build have you installed?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  3. Marco_NR

Marco_NR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have installed an SSD to my old and beloved laptop, can anyone suggest which W10 build works better? I mean drivers, brightness control working and acceptable battery comsumption

Please help me, I installed W10 1803 but brightness control doesn't work, neither has an acceptable battery life

4. Largo62

Largo62 Newbie

Reputations:
    Good evening all !
    I have an issue with the AMD GPU, since a restart two months ago.
    There was a request to restart due to the installation of windows update. After this, my computer start to freeze when i was playing (about 10 minutes).
    Then i download and install new drivers, but i had a black screen at the reboot.
    I success to uninstall the driver in safe mode, but now, the graphic card is :
    not recongized in Windows management devices
    as soon as i run AMD installation driver, it is said that the graphic card is "on pending"
    when i tried to do a customized install, the laptop freeze during the installation.

I have tried also to uninstall the AMD drivers, and install them in safe mode:
    the amd installation driver exec, can't recognize the card and only a manual install of the driver work but the laptot had a black screen as soon as i reboot to go back to Win 10...
    Anyone as the same issue ?
    So i'm a bit lost, as i don't know what happen :!
    Thanks for your support !

5. rakfish

rakfish Newbie

Reputations:
    This sounds almost exactly like the crap I went through about 3 years ago. I couldn't find any other reason than Win 10 not working well together with this laptops GPU. I tried a bunch different drivers and they all resulted in the same freeze/not recognized/installation failed etc. I even sent the laptop in for repair twice in hopes to get a refund or new laptop, but I think they just replaced the motherboard and sent it back. So I gave up on Win 10 and have stayed with Win 8.1 since. Won't try installing Win 10 again until I know of a solution to the GPU problems.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  6. Largo62

Largo62 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok , so going back to Win 8.1 solved the issue ?
    i didn't have issue with this GPU on win10 until this reboot (i assumed it was to go on 1809 update)...
    So i will try to reset to 8.1

7. rakfish

rakfish Newbie

Reputations:
    Well at least with Win 8.1 I can successfully install gpu drivers and play games without freezing. If I recall correctly the problems started with a game freezing and multiple gpu related BSOD so I had to uninstall the gpu driver in safe mode to even get back into the PC. After that it was impossible to get a gpu driver working, so I just stuck with Win 8.1. No idea exactly what causes it but at least it doesn't happen in Win 8.1.

8. Largo62

Largo62 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, i tried yesterday evening to install an old driver under windows 10 and it crashed.
    It was not possible to boot in safe mode to uninstall the driver. I had to format the SSD.
    I reinstalled win 8.1 on it, and before any update on windows, i tried to install last AMD driver compatbile with Win 8.1. It crashed also...
    I guess the GPU is dead...
    I will reinstall win 10 to night, but i need to not forget to disable my internet box, otherwise it will reinstall amd driver and will crash again....
    Gaming is finished on this laptop !

9. goibhniu

goibhniu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just wanted to say I found the link to this page after not checking in for a couple years, and it's great to see the community is still at it. I bought my NP770Z5E-S01UB when they first came out almost six years ago and it's been a workhorse, still going strong. I almost immediately upgraded it to 12GB, then replaced the HDD with an SSD, and I still use it regularly to this day. The best upgrade I ever made to it was replacing all of the keycaps with charcoal colored ones so that I could see them regardless of lighting/backlight. Since then we've added a Surface Pro and a Lenovo X1 Carbon to the family and the Chronos still gets regular use because it's the only one that can pull any weight in mobile gaming (due to the GPU).

Dannemand likes this.
  10. matt9882

matt9882 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

So, I've continued using my Ativ tangentially for the past several years - CAD work at school, as a secondary feed monitor when I stream, nothing major. It's still kicking, every major hardware component is working super well (new thermal paste every year, good general maintenance, etc) - but I'm having two / three issues that make it near unusable for my typical use-case (remember, I use this laptop at school and on the road mostly). Here are my issues, any help is appreciated:

1. My lovely black-keycapped keyboard (check out my old-as-can-be thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ide-keyboard-replacement-lots-of-pics.780629/) isn't working properly. Several keys are just not taking any input, and it happened completely at random one day. I was so dumbfounded, I performed a full, fresh Windows 10 install. I tore it apart, checked the ribbon cable for kinks or corrosion, cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol... nothing changes. Several keys on the numpad, a lot on the top row of letters... all unresponsive.
    2. The fresh windows 10 install led to issue #2 - I can't get Samsung Settings installed, and can't adjust ANYTHING because of that. I've downloaded Samsung Update from the Windows Store, but it only has a few drivers I don't seem to really need. I never was able to get the brightness control working properly for any length of time after Windows 10 became a thing, but not even having proper fan control or use of my function keys is a major PITA.
    3. WiFi works just fine, but my Bluetooth mouse for some reason doesn't register - kinda. It shows up, connects, and shows as a device, but the damn pointer doesn't move at all when it's selected. The mouse works fine connected to Bluetooth on my desktop, and it works fine both on my desktop and this laptop with the dongle, but it hates Bluetooth on this laptop for some reason.
    I know I can get a few more years (minimum) out of this machine if I can figure out these issues, so any help is appreciated.