2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Do they hang right after boot, and are you using Microsoft/Win10s AMD driver? I ask because I found those drivers to cause a looong delay during boot. But that's on my older AMD PowerXpress model (NP700Z3A). I wouldn't expect it to affect Enduro and newer AMD chips. I use Leshcat drivers for that reason, and block Windows 10 from overwriting them with Microsoft's "Windows Show or Hide Updates" tool (wushowhide).

This may not apply to NP770/780/870/880 models at all, but I though it worth mentioning. And it's all I got :rolleyes:

2. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's amazing, if I do not connect to internet I can actually install the intel video drivers, and when I install the AMD graphics it just hangs. From there on reboot doesn't do anything and I have to reinstall windows.

If I connect to internet during the windows 10 setup program it will hang at some point, sometimes after completing setup (guess it's related to windows 10 trying to install the drivers), or even during setup, wich I understand isn't a moment when windows 10 will install drivers from internet.

Its weir becausse the old 1TB HDD work ok, and I have another laptop with a Samsung 850 pro 1TB SSD that doesn't have any problem.

There is no firmware update for the kingston A400, so no luck with that.

3. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I agree, there isn't much logic why the AMD display drivers would cause a laptop with one type of SSD to hang, but not a similar laptop with another type of SSD. An interrupt taking too long to process and eventually times out. Or some such thing. Who knows. But some kind of driver problem. It's usually the graphics switching that messes it up.

I'd look for older AMD drivers. Again, I use Leshcat 14.4, very old, but working and stable. You can probably go newer than that, having Enduro switching on your Sammy. But you have to block Windows from overwriting them since the Microsoft provided drivers are much newer.

4. cipherl

cipherl Newbie

Reputations:
    HI

Have started to get a white transparent bar down the right hand side of my screen on my NP78085E machine.

Have tried a number of current and older versions for the display driver for the Intel HD 4000 (including the latest 10.18.10.4276) but he bar keeps coming back.

Any ideas?

5. Dannemand

Reputations:
    That sounds like a hardware problem more than a driver one: Either the screen itself or RAM, video RAM or GPU. Could also be a loose or defect cable.

Does it happen in games only, in plain Windows, or both? Is it constant or intermittent? Does it also occur during power-up or if you boot to BIOS settings (F2)?

If you post a photo of the problem, that may give us a better idea.

6. cipherl

cipherl Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Its the built-in screen of the NP780Z5E laptop. Happens when I boot up, in plain windows, in all programmes. It is mostly constant and flickering. Goes away sometimes when I reinstall the driver

7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Thank you for the update. I must say I don't recall seeing that before during my time here.

Have you tried booting into BIOS settings (F2) and see if it is also present there? If so, it is 100% certain a hardware problem, not a driver issue. And even if it only happens in Windows and goes away sometimes, I think it is more likely to be some kind of hardware defect. The ribbon cable connecting the screen to the motherboard would be my first suspect, followed by RAM/VRAM or the GPU.

You could try and disable the GPU in Device Manager. If it makes it stay away, you'll know it's VRAM or GPU.

Backup your data before making any kind of experiments or disassembling the laptop. Seriously.

Edit:
    Come to think of it, here is an experiment for you:

0) First check in BIOS settings (boot F2) if the problem is present there. If so, no need to waste time with the rest of these steps.

1) Disable network to prevent Windows update from messing things up. (Fn-F12 or select Airplane Mode in Windows Settings.)

2) In Device Manager, uninstall your AMD Display Adapter and check the option Delete the driver software for this device. Then choose Scan for hardware changes from the Action menu (or right-click).

3) Keep repeating step (2) as long as the Delete the driver software for this device option shows up. When it no longer shows up, you have rolled back to no driver installed for the AMD.

4) Now disable the (driverless) AMD Display adapter in Device Manager.

5) Completely uninstall your AMD driver using Windows Programs and Features. Restart Windows.

6) See if you can still reproduce the problem, now with no AMD device or software.

7) If the problem is still there, do the same with the Intel Display adapter and its driver. But don't disable it in device manager (maybe you can, I just never tried that.)

8) You should now be back to the generic VGA driver. If the problem can still be reproduced at this stage, it is almost certainly a hardware problem. LCD panel, ribbon cable or RAM would be my best guesses.

9) If the problem is gone now, you can re-install Intel Display drivers, restart, and see if the problem comes back.

10) If the problem still hasn't come back, re-enable the AMD Display adapter, restart, but DON'T install drivers yet. See if the problem comes back (which would be surprising without drivers).

11) Now install the AMD drivers of your choice (study the thread for guidance), restart, and see if the problem comes back. If it DOES, you know it's a GPU/VRAM or AMD driver problem.

I don't think this will irreparably mess up your Windows installation, but no guarantees. I have tried it myself on older Samsung models with older Windows versions. But in any case, please do backup before doing this.

Good luck. Keep us posted,

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  8. cipherl

cipherl Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Dannemand

Vertical bar is also in the BIOS (F2 screen) screen so does sound like a hardware problem like you indicated. Cognisant of how difficult this laptop could be to open, which end of the LCD screen cable should I investigate first - motherboard end or screen end?

Thanks

ALLurGroceries likes this.
  9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Thank you for the update. I am sorry to hear that. While it is indeed what we would expect given the symptoms, it is also harder and more expensive to solve than a driver problem.

I would definitely start inspecting the motherboard end of the ribbon cable -- simply because you can get to it without tearing apart the glued together display assembly. The most vulnerable part of these ribbon cables is usually "the bend" at the hinge.

Of course the defect could also be in the video RAM or the LCD panel itself. Since the white band overlays the display elements (which can bee seen underneath) I am increasingly thinking it may be the panel itself: If it were RAM I would expect much more erratic symptoms. The same is true if it were the ribbon cable.

Still, start inspecting the most accessible, least costly parts, i.e. the cable. The tricky phase will be if you have to buy replacement parts without knowing exactly where the defect is. A repair store has an advantage here in that they have parts with which they can test.

I am no expert on hardware repairs (although I've done several over the years) and no expert on the NP770/780/870/880 models either.

I would hope that others with more practical experience, including with your model, can step in here.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would start by checking the dispaly connector on the mainboard. The twisting of the cable through the hinge can cause this to get loose. You need to remove the bottom of the computer. This guide is for the 13" Series 7 but is likely to be similar to the 15" and the display cable is the thick cable which passes through the hinge. Lift up the connector on the mainboard and then push it down again to make sure it is properly seated. There is connector at the display end of the cable which can be accessed by prising off the display bezel. However, this is less likely to be the problem as the connector has little room for movement. Otherwise it's time to look for a replacement display unit complete with cable and hinges.

John

cipherl and Dannemand like this.