2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Greth

Greth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, I need some guidance. My ATI/AMD dedicated graphics card in my NP770Z5E died about a year ago. I have been using it fine with the integrated graphics card just cannot play games. The issue I have is that I cannot upgrade to the latest Windows 10 Spring update as it freezes around 40+%. As far as I've read, its the dedicated graphics card driver that's trying to be installed by the update. I have tried a number of different things but nothing has worked. Perfect solution would be to disable the dedicated graphics card at hardware level however there is no option in the BIOS. I saw a post on here a few pages ago (from tqbinh) about disabling the card via a modded BIOS but it doesn't disable the card, I may be doing something wrong with the BIOS mod.

I see some have gone to fairly extreme lengths in taking the hard drive out and putting it in another computer to do the update but I want to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions?

2. Murat Şahin

Murat Şahin Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. Recently, my ativbook 8 (NP870Z5E) started to boot up in a very long time. When i boot up the notebook, there is 10 minutes time gap (black screen) before i see Samsung logo. After seeing the Samsung logo, windows opens in 20 seconds. After some googling, I conluded that my BIOS software is the problem. But, i have not able to find the latest software for my notebook. BIOS is not listed in Samsung Update software.

If there is any one to supply the BIOS software, it is very appriciated. Thank you.

3. Murat Şahin

Murat Şahin Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi again. I have managed to solve my problem after several days of searching internet. As I thought, the problem was corrupt BIOS. I flashed the latest BIOS and my problem has been solved. Here is what i did:

1- Download latest BIOS from the below link (The BIOS file is the latest BIOS file for ativbook 8 (NP870Z5E). Do not use the file for other Models !!!!)

http://sbuservice.samsungmobile.com/upload/BIOSUpdateItem/ITEM_20140512_21365_WIN_P05ADH.exe

2- Run the Exe file

3- Click yes (user account control)

4- Click ok (Samsung Firmware Update)

5- Go to "C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\__Samsung_Update" folder. And copy all the files to a usb stick

6-Open cmd promt (as administrator)

7- Change directory to the directory of usb stick (i.e. F: )

8- Run following command "afuwinx64 P05ADH.cap /p /GAN"

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Dannemand likes this.
  4. Greth

Greth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’ve managed to sort out my issue after a lot of attempts. I tried modding my BIOS to unhide the Chipset menu (I cannot find the guide right now but will post if anyone is interested). I then tried the setting tqbinh suggested:
    Go to unlocked BIOS and set the followings:
    a) Chipset -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphic Control → Primary display: IGFX
    b) Chipset -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> NB PCIe Configuration -> Enable PEG: Disabled

The first setting never stuck and kept reverting back to SG (Switchable Graphics). The second setting is when the pain started! If I selected PEG: Disabled then the laptop wouldn’t even Post. I had to open up the laptop to unplug the CMOS battery to clear the settings to get it to boot. In the end, I removed the Hard drive and installed it into another PC and got the 1803 update to install. Once that was complete and booted up normally, I then shutdown, put it into my laptop again then used it from there. I did have issues where I could only use safe mode however uninstalling the AMD drivers (must have been part of 1803 update) and disabling the Video card in Device Manager sorted this out.

Morale of the story, you can MOD your BIOS, but I wouldn’t recommend it!

5. blackbery123

blackbery123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks You!!!!!!

6. Weifinsd

Weifinsd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I took the lazy way and just use windows7, where I don't have problems with the OS forcing to install drivers for the dedicated graphics ahahaha. At least it runs fast.
    I do miss the windows 10 effects tho

7. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Please post the link the guide, out of curiosity im going to play with the third np770 i have laying on my house, wich is having vga problems.

8. Weifinsd

Weifinsd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Apparently there's a new windows update soon to be released. I put my hopes in that one to fix the compatibility issues with the drivers.

9. Twistx77

Twistx77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, everyone.

I have been having problems with my keyboard because some keys stopped working then almost all of them. So I decided to open it and replace it. I got to the keyboard by cutting the plastic ribbets and put it all back but now the computer charges, and it turns on but the screen won't turn on and the fans either so the heatsink heats up quickly but I can't do anything more. Does anyone know why this can be? This is not the keyboard replacement I make for a laptop but this never happened to me. I've disassembled it twice and checked everything is connected the right way and there are no shorts with the metallic frame of the keyboard.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

10. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I'm having problems with 3 laptops (2xNP770 and 1xNP870) and some kingston A400 256GB drives.... They hung after installing the AMD drivers... Any ideas?

I've ruled out the laptops, and it's impossible for the three drives to be bad, so this must be a compatibility issue.