2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Luvsno

Luvsno Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi brand new here. I have a NP780Z5ES02CA from Canada. Previous owner had played inside and left screws loose. After we’ve used it for a year it is completely dead. No power no lights. I’ve tested the battery and it has 16.8 v when unplugged and 0 volts when plugged into the motherboard. Charging jack is good. 18v coming in but 0 in the motherboard. So I’m in need of a motherboard
    BA92-12622A and BA92-12622B are the numbers on it. I see BA92-12130 on eBay and wonder if it will work. Or if someone has one here for sale.
    Thanks for any help. I will continue reading the forum for any other info.

2. MENTAL1ST

MENTAL1ST Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I eventually got round to trying an alternative strategy to upgrade my NP780Z5E to the Spring Creators update, since it was continually re-downloading it, installing it, hanging because of the dead Radeon chip and rolling back.

Since I couldn't make the bios hack to disable the AMD GPU work, I tried the following method:

• Opened the bottom and took out the hard drive (well, the SSD I upgraded to)
    • Put the ssd into another computer - a Thinkpad with a 1 or 2 generation newer Intel Chipset
    • That computer started up, set up its own drivers in Windows 10, then restarted
    • Performed the upgrade to Win 10 1709 on the Thinkpad
    • Restarted a few times, so the upgrade had taken hold, and it wouldn't panic and roll back if it detected a startup error
    • Took the SSD back out of the Thinkpad, and put it back in the Samsung
    • The Samsung did the equivalent install of its own drivers - and hung when it was trying to set up the AMD GPU
    • Restarted in Safe Mode (it's so hidden in all those menus now, it's a bit ridiculous)
    • Disabled the AMD GPU in device manager
    • Rebooted, and everything is upgraded and working
    What a faff, but it's better than constantly trying to prevent the thing upgrading, then waiting for it to roll back again. Same again in a few weeks when it wants 1803, I suppose.

Also, I found out during the process that the battery has expanded, so I had to whip that out and order a replacement. Dear me, it's probably just as well that Samsung have given up selling laptops in Europe.

3. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I finally managed to repair my water damaged NP77025E for €150! So happy. I'm thinking about selling my nvidia gtx 980m equipped p35x, get a desktop and use my series 7 for media consumption/portable computer needs since it's more stylish, slim and has a better battery and a very similar cpu. Do you guys think this a good plan?

4. mizake the mizan

mizake the mizan Newbie

Reputations:
    One thought.
    One thought--your 8870 may not actually be dead. I've come across the problem with recent Windows Insider builds, and see evidence that others may be having similar problems. I believe the result is the same you are seeing--complete machine freeze at some point either while installing a windows update or while installing an AMD driver, followed by a roll back (and potentially need to go into safe mode to disable/Remove driver).

If I block windows from updating (and putting in place whatever driver is causing the problem); I am able to get the latest AMD driver up and running successfully, by following a careful set of steps. Not sure why it worked, but essentially I took the advice from this post:

1. Uninstall all AMD drivers and reboot.
    2. Install an old (15.x series) Radeon Driver. Reboot.
    3. Install an old (16.x series) Radeon Driver over the 15.x. Reboot
    4. Install an old (17.x series) Radeon Driver over the 16.x. Reboot
    5. Install a recent/current 18.x series driver.
    Just installing the latest driver itself would freeze the machine, but the gradual upgrade, for whatever reason, worked.

5. pranktank

pranktank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys if anyone was wondering, I have an 8770m motherboard from the np780Z5E-S01UB working in my 8870m based np770Z5E! Only my keyboard backlight isn't working but I'm 95% sure it's unrelated with the mismatched motherboard.

So yes they are compatible/interchangeable.

UPDATE: EVERYTHING is working now including gpu, (keyboard) brightness controls,...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Dannemand likes this.
  6. vivre

vivre Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone's brightness control stopped working after the latest Windows 10 version 1803 update?

7. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm on 1803 without issues, have you tried the regedit moddification to allow brightness control?

8. hazel246

hazel246 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi, looks like the HDD in my NP770Z5e is dying. Can someone recommend a good cost efficient model for a SSD replacement. Or are there certain makes and models that are best avoided? Any tips are welcome.

9. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any ssd should be quite better in terms of performance against the original hdd. Im using a 850 pro 1tb without issues.

10. Weifinsd

Weifinsd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does someone knows if the driver problems with Windows10 and the GPU were solved? I'm currently using Windows7 and without the 8870m, just the integrated cards because otherwise it just crash and the laptop can't be used :(