]]>

2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Many users here are having VGA problems with this old model, probably because of just age, use and heat. There is a tutorial on the first post to modify the bios of this noebook in order to dissable permanently the ATI VGA.

Did you check the ssd status with the software i told you?

2. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    VGA??? I was talking about the GPU. My SDD checks out fine. It's new, only six months old anyways.

3. jack53

Reputations:
    Even though the 2017 drivers don't work, there HAS to be a driver between 2013 - 2016 that that would work for my Samsung ATIV Book 6 NP680Z5E-X01US???

Anybody know?

4. jack53

Reputations:
    C'mon folks!!! There HAS to be a WORKING AMD GPU driver that is newer than 2013.
    It is definitely a driver problem as I get the message from time to time that the "AMD driver has stopped working and has recovered".

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. faeterov

Reputations:
    VGA = GPU.

As I've said, most likely you have a faulty GPU, like many other people in this thread.

In post #6158 you said the SSD could be the source of problem. Since you ruled that out, then you can start with other hardware. The only thing I can think of related to your problem that can be replaced is the RAM.

If you rule out the RAM, then it has to be the moderboard. Since the problem is related to a GPU intensive task, then most likely is the GPU, wich is soldered and cannot be removed.

6. jack53

Reputations:
    Well you were wrong... it was a driver problem. I solved it myself. First the drivers were outdated as both were 2013 versions and I would get a message from time to time saying the AMD driver has stopped working... plus when I clicked on the AMD Radeon Settings, I would get a message that the ADM driver was not working... but device manager said it was etc. See screenshot. No matter what I did, I couldn't update the drivers... which I'll cover how I fixed it in the next post.
    AMDdriversNotWorking.jpg

7. faeterov

Reputations:
    Run a test with 3dmark and see how it goes.

8. jack53

Reputations:
    Here is how I finally solved the GPU driver problem. It was obvious I couldn't do it with Win 8.1 as Microsoft doesn't support it anymore, so I'm forced to migrate to Windows 10, which I tried to do three times before, but it froze at 78%. So I gave up until now...
    However, I've gotten Windows 10 installed with the current drivers and everything updated. The reason I couldn't get past 78% while trying to install Win 10 before was I was doing it from upstairs via wireless connection. This time, I was downstairs plugged into the ethernet port and turned off the firewall. Worked like a charm this time. Then the Samsung Update Software updated everything else for Windows 10. Strange, the driver for intel is dated 8/17/15 while the AMD driver is dated 9/22/17. But much better than both original drivers dated 2013 before in Win 8.1
    Here is the screenshot when I was done:
    Win10info.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  9. jack53

Reputations:
    Well, it worked out as I did want to upgrade to Win 10 before, but failed 3 times so I was trying to make Win 8.1 work.

I learned a few things this time around. You can never quit learning in the Tech age.

BTW, I'm not exactly a newbie nor computer illiterate either as I've been a member here for 12 years. I bought my first laptop & desktop back in 1985 and still have it and it still works! I've owned at least 20 laptops since then along with a few desktops but prefer laptops. I've built a few and did repair until 2015 where I decided to stick with digital photography.

Here are a couple links to backup my claims:

http://www.1-4u-computer-graphics.com/

http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/Old_New_Computers.htm