2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. MENTAL1ST

MENTAL1ST Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, it's Windows update time again, and this time I'm only getting so far through before the laptop hangs.

From the thread, I gather that's because disabling the broken AMD GPU in Device Manager isn't good enough, so I've been attempting to unlock the BIOS.

I've followed the instructions linked to from the first article, but like jessevl and azharb17 before me, the flashed BIOS doesn't seem to want to take - I don't see any extra settings in the bios menus.

Are there any extra instructions? Does it need a specific version of the bios? Is there something you have to do with regard to power cables - there seemed to be reference to odd power-specific things in the instructions linked.

2. Tabinhu

Tabinhu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having some severe issues with WiFi on my campus.
    WiFi works fine everywhere else but on campus it's not stable.

I have Windows 10 with the Centrino N 6235 driver.
    WiFi works fine on my smartphone on campus, but it's very bad sometimes on my laptop

3. Kaneda

Kaneda Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello people. First of all, I apologize for my horrible English.

Maybe this question has already been done in the post (if so, I apologize) but with such a large number of messages it is impossible to find anything about it.

I need your help. I am the owner of an NP870Z5E (Portuguese version). The DISPLAY panel on my screen shows retentions (burned image ?, I do not know what the correct expression is in Shakespeare's language) since I bought it in 2013.
    This problem is evident especially in dark gray and continuous funds. The retention has been increasing over time to unbearable limits for me (I am an architect specialized in graphic design). From what I had read in this same place, the retention diminished with time but in my case, at least, it has been the opposite ... it can stay about 2 minutes.

For what little I have found out, this panel is assembled by other brands. The brand / model does not matter as long as the connections are compatible (I am not 100% sure about the latter).

Could someone give me the reference / link, etc. of an original or compatible panel that does not present this damn problem? I know that substitution is not an easy task, at least for me (from what I see the frame is stuck, not screwed or with clips) but in my city I have qualified technicians so that the result is acceptable, or I hope so.

Maybe only with the serial number / model of the panel, my trusted provider could get one, although they have already told me that they do not guarantee that the problem will not arise again.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017 at 1:36 PM
  4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hey @Kaneda, sorry to hear about your display problems.

There are indeed many reports early in this thread about image retention problems, although also some discussion about whether software and display settings may be exacerbating it. I am sure you already read those posts, but if not, I highly recommend you check them out. You can use the forum search or Google searches such as site:notebookreview.com book 8 image retention.

As for replacing the panel, SamsungParts.com is tradititionally our source for locating parts numbers. Unfortunately I don't see any NP870Z5E models listed, only NP880Z5E (ie touch screen). For that model, SamsungParts.com lists part # BA59-03616A (panel only, $250) as well as part # BA96-06473A (full display assembly, $392).

Googling NP870Z5E display panel brought up several reasonably priced listings on eBay. I would check those.

I believe you are right it is a glue job (as with most laptops), which makes replacement somewhat messy. I replaced the 18.4" display panel on my old HP HDX laptop last year and bought a full Display Assembly for that same reason. But a good repair shop (or anyone with experience) should be able to replace the panel itself.

Good luck. Please keep us posted on your progress.

5. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    Let me ask for the 3rd time, Anyone know??? If not, do they still make the stock battery for this?

6. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    In addition to my battery question in previous post, can a wireless or bluetooth controller work on my Samsung ATIV Book 6