2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. eva2000

eva2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Looks like I couldn't escape the bulging swollen battery issue on my Samsung ATIV Book 8 - this morning noticed it swollen and pushed apart the top and bottom of laptop casing warping the touchpad area. Luckily it doesn't look like a permanent warping so replacing battery should work right ? How did folks fair with their replacement batteries ? Any issues ?

5941_20170930_1403160101.jpg 5943_20170930_1417050101.jpg

2. shaevy

shaevy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Samsung replaced my battery on warrenty a long time ago. The replacement battery is still doing fine.

eva2000 likes this.
  3. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm also having problems updating to creators update on windows 10, it also gets stuck at 71%, just like the other users.

4. faeterov

Reputations:
    Having the same problem, waited months to try again today and it still the same problem.

5. mulcmu

mulcmu Newbie

Reputations:
    I got it to get past the 71% freeze by disabling the Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader driver and running the AMD clean utility to remove the AMD video drivers. Memory card reader worked after the upgrade was done. I haven't messed with the AMD video.

6. faeterov

Reputations:
    Removed the Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader driver and still stuck in 71%, will try removing AMD drivers now.

7. faeterov

Reputations:
    Removed the ati driver, I was able to install creators update, now running 1703 build number, I'll try to reinstall ati drivers now.

8. har3inger

har3inger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That fixed it for me too. CU installs without hanging at 71%.

Unfortunately, I can't find a working FeatureTestControl value that gives me back brightness control. F048 and FFFF lock it at max brightness, whereas F001 and F000 just give me dark screen again.

Should specify:

You only need to delete the AMD gpu drivers for the CU to install properly. Once it does, most/all of your drivers will be replaced by windows variants for Win10 CU. This will give you the gimped Intel GPU driver that will never clock above 350 core (supposed to be 1200; also, old news. This happened even as far back as Win 10 before AU).

So, I installed the original Intel OEM drivers from SW update. This fixes the clock issues. However, this driver also refuses to respond to the classic FeatureTestControl settings. I'm not sure if this is a driver issue that would be fixed by going back to the gimped Windows driver, or if it's an OS-related issue.

Crimson 17.10.1 installed, but only "partially". Driver installs fine, but it says the AMD settings does not install correctly. Doesn't seem to matter. I have full functionality in AMD settings...

Update: Everything's working just fine. FeatureControlTest works at F008. I just needed to DDU everything and start from scratch. Working configuration is samsung OEM intel drivers and catalyst 16.4.2 -> 17.10.1 (Trying to install anything more recent than 16.4.2 as clean install will cause bluescreens on boot)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    mulcmu likes this.
  9. eva2000

eva2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Great to hear. My Samsung ATIV Book 8 NP880Z5E is out of warranty so had to fork out AUD$175 for replacement that shipped within a week. Paid 2x more than usual price as all the Chinese providers had ~30 day ETA for shipping ! The Samsung genuine replacement battery arrived yesterday and just pucked it in and it's working, charging it up right now :)

Hope it lasts as using my travel laptop, Dell Inspiron 13 7000 during the downtime was a noticeably slower than Samsung ATIV Book 8 despite having 4-5 yr old cpu. Dell Inspiron 13 7000 has 2C/4T Intel Core i7 7500U, 16GB and 512GB Micron 1100 SSD vs Samsung ATIV Book 8 has 4C/8T Intel Core i7 3635QM, 16GB and 960GB Crucial M500 SSD. Extra cpu cores/threads seems to make a difference :)

when was this update made ? my laptop was down since September 30, 2017 so something to watch out for me I guess.

10. eva2000

eva2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Seems Samsung ATIV Book 8 NP880Z5E-X01AU laptop is showing it's age, as now my cpu fans are started to make more noise as well sometimes. so anyone replaced cpu fans on this laptop too ? Looking at https://www.ca-laptop-fans.com/samsung-np880z5e-x01au-fan-f31943.html for replacements.

@John Ratsey so replacing just cpu fans involves removing the entire heatsink assembly too ?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017