2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Maybe GPU-z still an entry for the dGPU in the registry. What happens if you delete any dGPU entry in Device Manager and then reboot? Does Windows find the hardware and add it back on the list.

The other test is to run the computer on battery with HWiNFO > Sensors open. This should show both the power drain from the battery and the current speed of the GPU. If you then do something which loads the graphics does the battery drain increase by the amount expected should the dGPU be running?

John

Dannemand and Azharb17 like this.
  2. Azharb17

Azharb17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is what I'm standing at:
    • Ok so I deleted the AMD GPU from Device Manager, (which was normally just disabled) and rebooted, no sign of it in GPU-Z.
    • Thing is though in HWiNFO I am only seeing the AMD one at 100% fan speed!
    • My power consumption is also high at around 20W, but this is the norm for me for a while now.(No change btw on using graphics-requiring programs).
    • Before reading your post I tried upgrading to W10 Creators version, and the freezing issue which always occurs during Windows Feature Updates happened again. After uninstalling the AMD, also had another freeze in normal usage.
    I'm still convinced that I'm doing something wrong in the BIOS mod, so if anyone did succeed with it, I would appreciate a screenshot of all changed pages. Just to clarify, the windows update is not that important to me, I'm only working with it as an indicator of my GPU's crashes etc. So while I can manage without disabling the GPU in BIOS, it would be mighty helpful if I can, more so to get those pesky Windows Upgrade popups off my back! (Plus longer battery life) I don't play games and such either, so this is more of a matter of convenience rather than need.

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Right click on the computer name at the top of the Device Manager list and select Scan for Hardware Changes to see if it finds the dGPU.

What does HWiNFO show as the CPU package power and what is the CPU speed?

John

4. Azharb17

Azharb17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After i deleted it in Device Manager (which then got labelled as "Video Controller" which i also disabled but made no difference), the freeze issue kept on happening so I restored it to what it was and left it disabled. (I'm assuming now that this is proof that it isn't disabled in BIOS)

This is where it gets weird. CPU speed (I'm referring to an idle PC in all these cases) is 1.4 to 1.9 Ghz whether plugged in or on battery. But plugged in it ranges from 7 to 20W without any apparent reason. On battery it never goes below 14W.
    Also note I don't have Intel MEI installed from SW update as it keeps giving errors

5. Steerpike58

Steerpike58 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Minor observation regarding the above Registry key - I've tinkered with the registry for decades now and everything I've learned tells me that 'ControlSet001' is just a backup of 'CurrentControlSet', so a change made to ControlSet001 shouldn't have any effect. Is this really a change that has to be made to ControlSet001 and not CurrentControlSet?

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    This needs to be debugged: Compare the mains and battery settings for the power profile you are using (I always use the optimized / performance on demand setting to let the CPU change it speed according to the workload). If that is the CPU package power then 14W by the CPU package represents around 20W for the whole system if the dGPU is not running.

John

7. MENTAL1ST

MENTAL1ST Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So... Recently I was trying to run a game on my NP780Z5E-S01UK, and the screen froze, so I reset it.

Then, when it started up, the screen went black. Starting it up in Safe mode worked OK, but nothing I could do with the graphics drivers seemed to do any good until uninstalling all the AMD software and disabling the AMD 8870M in Device manager. Now it starts up, and operates fine, except it can only use Intel Graphics. If I re-enable the AMD GPU in Device Manager it freezes. If I try to install the AMD driver from Samsung Update, it freezes.

Has my GPU died? And if so, what are my options, just replacing the entire motherboard if I can find a spare?

If I have to live with Intel Graphics only, so be it, but the laptop was bought as a gaming computer, and it would be nice to get my decent GPU back going again.

8. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Most likely yes. Try installing windows from scratch. If the problem persist, you can use a link in the first post to mod your bios and disable the ATI GPU from there.

9. MENTAL1ST

MENTAL1ST Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd rather not toast my otherwise working SSD contents. Maybe I'll see if I can find a spare 2.5 inch drive to do a clean install on, and try that. Looking back through the thread, it looks like this is something that just happens.

I've never had an AMD branded chip that hasn't caused me bother (although I did have two perfectly fine ATI graphics cards previously). Never again, I think.

10. jpvr

jpvr Newbie

Reputations:
    hi mental1st,

Got same problem. running ativ book 8 (np880) with double graphic card

what happened:

running windows 10 home RS1 with amd card running. had some issues with brightness gone, but fixed it. Ran amd with new amd drivers for AMD Radeon R9 M270.. the samsung divers never got updated for the 8870.....

4 sept playing game.... suddenly game froze.....nothing worked..no ctrl-alt-delete possible
    - restarted laptop with powerbutton... samsung logo appeared..the running windows circle...and.....black screen...nothing
    to make long story short...
    - tried image from 1 month ago...worked for few minutes..then same behaviour and errors.
    - did clean install with windows 10 imageon clean disk, worked, but i could not download all drivers from internet... got stuck again
    - did clean install with latest windows 10 build, so there was less to download...installed samsung software...and newest amd driver...again laptop got stuck

HOPELESS

then i found your message..

- started in drive with latest build clean install and went in safe modus. Remover all amd drivers with amd clean utility.
    - started win normal boot:.... and laptop running with no problems!!!!!!

- took my ssd, removed amd drivers in safe modus and restarted....laptop running again. phew...

ERGO:

Windows did software update for windows 10 RS2.... didnt warn me....and the update together with amd drivers caused the crash. lost 3 days to find problem, and nearly gave up laptop (thank u windows)

Status now:

- Cant go back to previous build, because in my search for the solution in the first place i removed the recovery point....

- windows works (RS2), but only with intel graphics. Cant install samsung settings, software fails to install..no new software yet from samsung.

the old amd driver for 8800 from samsung also gives the boot problems.... Newest amd drivers dont work (fail to install on certain point...and then the bootproblem occurs)

tomorrow i Phone samsung for a working set of software for windows 10 RS2.. The lastest for np880 are windows rs1

(still dont know if amd card is broken...dont think so...and hope not)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017