2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. tqbinh

tqbinh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My GPU 8870m is dead too. Now I am using only integrated graphics by disabling AMD video driver in Device Manager. Not very bad because I don't play games, but the power consumption is higher than normal (15W vs 10-11W) and I am searching the way to disable AMD GPU completely. Modding BIOS shows up some options about GPU and switchable graphics but nothing help me to disable AMD GPU.

Update: OK. It seems that I have found a workaround to reduce power consumption with faulty GPU: you need to make "double start" of the computer. First, start it and Ctrl+Alt+Del (or click on Restart button at Windows login screen, or F2 to go to BIOS setting and restart, or what so ever) to the second "hot" restart. The power consumption dropped to 11-11.5W, the only complain is that after resuming from standby the power consumption strikes to ~15W again.
    I guess that at the first (cold) startup the BIOS will determine the faulty GPU, and at the second (hot) (re-)start it will disable that faulty GPU.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If it aint broken dont fix it.

That power consumption might be related to your drivers and not the problem you are having.

3. cipherl

cipherl Newbie

Reputations:
    I have my NP780Z5E running on Windows 10. Tried to update to "Creators Edition" (OS Build 1703) using Windows Upgrade Assistant in advance of general availability but also got stuck mysteriously and hangs on "71%". I have a 250G SSD.

Any ideas how to trouble shoot where it is failing?

4. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That isnt related to the notebook but with your software.

Maybe clean with cclenaer and try again.

5. johnbarr

johnbarr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One of my values was F000 and the rest were F001. Changed that to F001 didn't work. Tried F008 didn't work but F048 did. Every major update I lose brightness control. F008 did work once but generally F001 was the usual fix.

So try F001, F008 and F048. One of them should work

6. Marco_NR

Marco_NR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My battery drains quickly, could send me your drivers?

Where did you get those drivers?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2017
  7. tqbinh

tqbinh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine dedicated graphic card is gone, so I unlock it's BIOS to find the way to disable the ATI GPU. After disabling it, the power consumption at 50% brightness setting go to as low as 7.7W, meaning about 10 hours. In short, the process is as follows:
    1. Modding the BIOS:
    - Extract your current BIOS;
    - Make all hidden settings visible.
    - Flash the modded BIOS
    The instruction is available here: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thr...-MSI-BIOS-to-unlock-full-features-UEFI-Aptio4 .
    2. Disable ATI GPU
    Go to unlocked BIOS and set the followings:
    a) Chipset -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphic Control → Primary display: IGFX
    b) Chipset -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> NB PCIe Configuration -> Enable PEG: Disabled

faeterov and Dannemand like this.
  8. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    I just ordered a ATIV Book 6 15.6in. TouchScreen 1TB, Intel Core i7 3rd Gen., 2.4GHz, 8GB, NP680Z5E-X01US off eBay for $400. In mint shape in the ad... I will see when it gets here in a few days. This is my 5th Samsung notebook over the years and I loved them all.

Quick question. The 8GB memory from factory, is that soldered in? The user manual only shows one memory slot and that is kind of unusual as most laptops have at least two memory slots.

I will be visiting here a quite a bit once the laptop gets here as first thing besides adding 8GB memory and a 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 250GB SSD, I want to install Win 10. I'm hoping there is that info in these post too. I look for them.

Oh, in case any of you are wondering, the Lenovo in my sig & avatar quit working on me, can't seem to fix it after several months, so finally gave up. Thought it was a bad MB, got a new one and that wasn't it. Very expensive brick.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  9. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Usually these type laptops have 4 soldered in and one 4 GB sodimm. So using a 8gb sodimm you end up with a total of 12gb ram.

jack53 likes this.
  10. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    That was the case with my Ultra book too. I forgot about that. Well, I guess 12GB should be enough ram. The only thing holding this laptop I ordered back is the 5400rpm HD and the 8GB ram. It should scream when I'm done as it has the i7 and dedicated GPU too.