2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    P07ABU is compatible with windows 10.
    That being said, if it helps you I just booted a NP770z spare motherboard I have, and it uses P03ABU.

2. mannypbg

mannypbg Newbie

Reputations:
    Having issues with my NP780Z5E updating to the latest Win 10 Anniversary edition. For months it gets to a point in the update of "71%" and then freezes. I have to shut down and recover previous version. Forces updates over and over, annoying. Current Win 10 runs, with exception of the display brightness issues. Aside from adding an SD drive, i have not done anything different to system.

Chat with Samsung support and the rep says that the NP780Z5E is not compatible with Win 10? Is anyone else having this update issue or heard that from Samsung?

Thanks!

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    One reason for possible problems is that this update is enormous (effectively a new OS) and needs a lot of space on the storage drive as it also makes a backup of the previous Win 10. I wonder whether it gets so far and then discovers that there's no spare space to carry on.

John

4. nwhidden

nwhidden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just sharing an update on this. That fix works great (thank you). However, when running some windows updates (like the one released just recently) it reverts back to the dark screen, and i have to do this each time. Its an easy fix, but annoying.

5. Pipic12

Pipic12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's great to see that the previous fix helped you, however there's an even better fix if above method doesn't work. Also, Microsoft's Basic Display Adapter driver limits some graphic card's funcionalities which I didn't know at the time. Below you can follow the steps to solve brigtness problems when Intel's HD 4000 drivers get updated.

1) Backup your registry if you wish!
    2) Open regedit.exe with admin rights in Run Command (search toolbar in win10)
    3) Find value [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001] "FeatureTestControl"= ''Edit DWORD 32bit'' = f000
    4) Change that value to f008
    5) Restart your laptop and option to change brightness should be fully working.

It might look harder for some people but it should work and it's a quick and reliable fix. I believe somebody already posted it before but people might have missed it.

6. Kira89

Kira89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    do you still use samsung software update for drivers? (i dont think is updated..)
    I have done a format and I've installed Ati driver and wireless driver from official site.
    I don't now if i should install intel driver from official website. The one I have its from windows update.
    Everithing works perfectly now (brightness control too). I would like to have everything updated but I wouldnt like to have some problems.

(i have samsung 870z5e with windows 10)

7. JT.

JT. Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all. I owned a Samsung book 6 since 2014. The computer was awesome and I loved it. Unfortunately the powerport broke. I paid over $100 for a local shop to solder a new one into the motherboard. It didn't fix anything. Rather than pour more money into it I just decided to buy a new comp. since I work online, getting something with a very similar overall feel and layout was essential. Started looking at new book 9 but noticed they pretty much neutered that computer. Took away the 1 TB HD and the numpad. Lower processor speed and removed add on ram slot. All of these Combined I knew I couldn't get the book 9. Thought about a note 7 spin but ultimately noticed that the book 8 was in the same chassis as the 6 with comparable stats. So I ended up buying a brand new book 8 880. I know buying old comp is never recommended but it had everything I wanted and it should feel the same as my book 6 which is very important to me. What kind of isssues will I run into with the setup of a new old comp? I assume it will have windows 8? The one problem I had with my old 6 was that windows 10 update would always freeze and force itself on me at bad times. Should I leave it at 8? Would it be worth upgrading if I have to pay for it? Is the free upgrade still available? I got a sata cable to recover data on my old hd. Any tips for this? Never done this before. Can I just use that hd as a backup going forward then? What can I do with my book 6? Sell for parts? It needs new motherboard now and I'd like to keep the hard drive but perhaps I could part out other things? Maybe I could get my data off the old drive, wipe it, then sell. Is there anyway to set up a pure administrator account on the new book 8? I don't know a ton about computers but I am extremely picky about my set up. I spent years getting my book 6 the way I wanted and was always having to fight one thing or another. Usually windows tried to pull some crap. I also got a Kingston 8 gb add on ram. Will probably wait till everything is up and running smoothly before I throw it in. Anything I need to know about this. Never done it before.

8. tqbinh

tqbinh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today I replaced my NP880Z5E's broken German keyboard with a new English one. You need to replace the keyboard with C-shell (not only because the layouts are different, but also because the keyboard is hard attached to the C-shell, i.e. palm rest). I bought this combo from taobao.com for almost 20$.
    The procedure is follow (also see attached image for screws and connectors location):
    - Remote the bottom case (D-shell, not shown in the attached image) by unscrewing 11 screws at bottom.
    - Remove the battery (screws b5-b8 and connector x1 in the attached image).
    - Remove hard driver (screws c7, c8, d1, d2 and connector x4).
    - Remove speakers connectors (x2 and x3).
    - Remove the keyboard, touchpad and backlight connectors (x5, x6 and x7). You need to rotate the plastic black keys by 90 degree before disconnect these cables.
    - Remove the Wifi card (screw d1)
    - Remote the left connector board (screws d3-d7).
    - Remove the screws fixing screen hinger (c1-c6).
    - Remove the combo mainboard+fan+heatsink (screws e1-e8)
    - Lift up the the combo mainboard+fan+heatsink, accurately remove the broken C-shell with keyboard and install the new one.
    That's all. In the process, you don't need to unscrew/disconnect other screws nor connectors.
    Update 1: Added a picture of the lifted mainboard+heatsink.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Dannemand and John Ratsey like this.
  9. fireplush

fireplush Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

some days ago my gpu dead 8870m and i need change the motherboard for fix my notebook the problem is that i cant find a motherboard with same serial BA92-12082B. Any know if is posible change for another model or if another model is compatible how np780 or np880.

best regards.

10. tqbinh

tqbinh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My GPU 8870m is dead too. Now I am using only integrated graphics by disabling AMD video driver in Device Manager. Not very bad because I don't play games, but the power consumption is higher than normal (15W vs 10-11W) and I am searching the way to disable AMD GPU completely. Modding BIOS shows up some options about GPU and switchable graphics but nothing help me to disable AMD GPU.

Update: OK. It seems that I have found a workaround to reduce power consumption with faulty GPU: you need to make "double start" of the computer. First, start it and Ctrl+Alt+Del (or click on Restart button at Windows login screen, or F2 to go to BIOS setting and restart, or what so ever) to the second "hot" restart. The power consumption dropped to 11-11.5W, the only complain is that after resuming from standby the power consumption strikes to ~15W again.
    I guess that at the first (cold) startup the BIOS will determine the faulty GPU, and at the second (hot) (re-)start it will disable that faulty GPU.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 8:55 PM