2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. tate17

tate17 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have a NP880Z5 with the screen brightness not working after the newest Windows 10 update. I had the issue before after upgrading to Windows 10, but was able to fix it with the Samsung Windows 10 brightness patch, but no such luck this time.

I have spent about 15 hours working on fixing it, here are the things I have tried.

1. Newest, old, and Samsung Update Installed drivers for the Intel 4000 (always cleaned out old Intel drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode).

2. Newest, and some old 8870 drivers (always cleaned out old Intel drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode).

3. Unistalled and re-installed Samsung Settings.

4. I already have the windows 10 brightness patch installed but I downloaded it again from Samsung update and manually ran it, it seemed to do nothing.

5. Messed around with all the power and display settings.

6. Showed hidden items in device manager and deleted the items under monitor and rescanned, as I read this fixed the issue on some laptops.

7. Rolled back to a restore point that said it was just before the latest Windows 10 update installed, but then the update was still there.

The only way I can get the brightness to work is if I go to device manager and under display adapters select the Intel 4000 and right click to update the drivers, and select to browse my computer for the drivers, then select to pick from a list on my computer and select the and install the Microsoft Basic Display Driver. The brightness will then work with that driver but performance is bad and it makes the 8870 stop being detected and so it will not work anymore.

Any help on this would be much appreciated as the screen is either super dim or super bright so I pretty much can not use the PC at this time.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    First try the registry edit mentioned in the last post here.

If that doesn't work then look run Samsung Update and look for a Windows 10 brightness control patch. It easiest to use the Find Model feature and then, if your computer isn't listed for Windows 10, look for a similar model.

John

MethodtotheMadness likes this.
  3. nwhidden

nwhidden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome. Thank you John. You have been providing helpful info for 3+ years now for this laptop. Its absolutely rediculous that a reg edit is required to fix this. What is a typical user supposed to do? with

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    So I presume that the brightness problem was fixed?

The fix is mentioned somewhere in this forum but Google took me to that other place.

John

5. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wanted to post the solution provided on the link John Ratsey provided
    Quote:

"I was struggling with the same problem with my Samsung 770Z5E for many many long monthes, and none of the possible solutions indicated so far worked for me. Until today, when I found a solution on another similar thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ics-4000/64c255eb-517f-44d7-8af3-b5cfd7c4b79d

In my case the problem was solved by setting the value of

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001] "FeatureTestControl" to "f008". I'm using the latest Intel drivers."

In my case I have an external VGA, so I didn't had any luck wich 0000. In 0001 the wasn't any "FeatureTestControl" option, but in 0002 I had luck. As written above, many thanks to John for keeping us updated with solutions to our problems in so many years.

Great notebook by the way.

6. nwhidden

nwhidden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

yes, that did the trick its back to being a good little laptop again

John Ratsey likes this.
  7. thirdeyechai

thirdeyechai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys so I finally bought myself a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD which I'm planning on putting into my laptop. I've had a look through this thread for information on this but I'm a little confused as to how to go about it.

I'm currently running Windows 10 and I want to do a clean install onto this drive. I have already backed up necessary files from my current HDD. Is it as simple as replacing the HDD with the SSD and booting Windows from a Flash Drive and installing? Would this install the necessary Recovery Partitions onto the SSD? Or do I need to put the existing Recovery Partitions onto a USB Drive myself by booting into Recovery with f4?

Any help you can provide is much appreciated! I'm very eager to remove the limitation that this 5400rpm HDD is imposing on my system! :D

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about the Samsung recovery partitions and just go ahead with installing Win 10 from a bootable flash drive. You will need Samsung's Admin tool to create those in a form which the BIOS can find - there's a separate discussion about this. If you keep the HDD then you can always put it back in. Windows 10 may create its own recovery partition for backing up some system information.

In theory, the Windows 10 installer will recognise that you have already had Win 10 installed on the computer but you may wish to find the key using keyfinder software before you remove the HDD.

John

thirdeyechai likes this.
  9. Azharb17

Azharb17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there

I'm hoping one of the experts can help me with this huge and annoying issue. I'm gonna try to explain it as best as i can.

After the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, my PC wouldn't startup. It would show the Samsung logo and the Blue Windows logo, but then go to a blank screen. Nothing would work and the PC would run really loud (fans etc.) All that I can do is hold the power button and force a shut down, then boot into recovery and use Windows Startup repair (which doesn't always work, its a bit of a gamble). Restoring to an earlier point, refreshing the entire PC and trying to revert back to pre-update doesn't work. Anyway, even after MS released the next small update which was supposed to fix this issue (I researched it) I still had this problem, until I disabled my AMD graphics completely. I was busy with exams so it didn't affect me, but now I can't game. I tried using DDU to remove the driver completely, but it didn't work since Windows automatically installed the same driver. Downloading the latest driver myself from AMD's website always results in a crash (as soon as it starts installing). So what I have now is a PC that cannot use the AMD card without freezing or crashing. Is there any fix? I have time on my hands, so should i do a clean install?

10. gnbspop

gnbspop Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone... A week back my ATIV 8 had some problems loading whenever I turn it on. When my friend fixed it I noticed only the Intel HD Graphics 400 was working and every time we'd try to install the AMD through Samsung update the pc kept crashing and we'd end up reformatting. He and other pc guys said it was the motherboard and its either I replace it or purchase a new one.

Should I get a new motherboard or just sell it my laptop and get an ATIV 9? Thanks