2013 Series 7 chronos / Ativ Book 8 15" owner's lounge (NP770Z5E / NP780Z5E / NP870Z5E / NP880Z5E)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by pranktank, Mar 24, 2013.

1. rohit4684

rohit4684 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can u please tell me under which folder do i change the data name, for featuretestcontrol in 0000 or 0001

2. wintunewrep

wintunewrep Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this forum.

I have a two-year-old NP770Z5E-S02SE. It has a nordic keyboard that is not working properly. I have had this problem for about a year but I have coped with it. Now I need the pc for work and need to get the problem fixed.

So, the problem is that 90% of the time some of the keys are not working. The problem is on the left hand side of the keyboard (keys ESC, §, TAB, F1, 1, q, a, z). However Caps Lock, Shift, Ctrl, Fn, <, Windows-key and so on do work. I have tried to clean the keyboard with pressured air, but it didn't help.

Has anyone had similar kind of problems with their keyboard? What should I do? The warranty has expired.

Thank you in advance.

3. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, as promised I tried tonight (after a 24 gig pre-download that took about 4.5 hours, plus another half an hour for decompressing), and YES it runs at 1920x1080 on the 8870M :) Had not the time for tweaking and stuff and basically only wandered about the wastelands up to a place named Concord, found Dogmeat already and did some easy fights in the Commonwealth against Bloatflies and Molerats. I left everything at min settings for the moment and measured framerates with FRAPS, as I found no way to get an fps display otherwise. With this setting,the game gives me framerates at about 40 to even 50, dropping to 25-30 fps during fights. Even at min settings, the game looks not bad IMHO and runs fluidly enough, cant tell for more complex settings and fiercer fights yet, but its better than expected. FPS even went up maxing at 50 inside the streets of Concord. So, its not exactly a pro gamer experience, but decently playable at least, I would say.

Note that the launcher obviously only detects the HD4000 and suggests 720p. AMD switchable graphics didn't automatically detect the game for some reason, and at first it seemed not to work, with Dogmeat jumping in steps and everything really sluggish and all. Things changed very much for the better after manually adding the following files to Switchable Graphics settings:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout4.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout4Launcher.exe

The launcher twice resetted the settings to 720p again, but on the third attempt it kept the 1080p resolution for good, this is an issue that earlier Fallout games had too and can surely be remedied, I think (by setting fallout.ini to read only, if nothing helps). As some of the graphics options obviously dont eat up too much power, I will slowly go up from there, but I could well live with the current state, too.

YMMV, of course :)

HTH,
    -- Chris.

NB. That new console-friendly interface, namely the Pip Boy and the dialog options with all those nasty arrows and stuff are the most annoying incarnations of any Fallout game I played, but one should get accustomed to it over time. And what may have ridden the developers to change the keyboard settings (q instead of v now for VATS mode, for instance, TAB to exit out of terminals, but possible only on top level), is beyond my reasoning.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would try disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard ribbon cable where it connects to the mainboard. Sometimes a contact oxidises with loss of connectivity. If that doesn't work then you probably need to search for a new keyboard. This can be expensive because it is probably integrated into the palmrest and is sold as a part called "unit housing top". Or you may find that someone in China is selling the basic keyboard for a more attractive price. However, you then have to separate the existing keyboard from the palmrest and glue in the replacement.

John

5. wintunewrep

wintunewrep Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your answer! I'll try these. I will let you know if it helped or not :)

6. nwhidden

nwhidden Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am having this same issue. I tried doing what you suggested, but it didnt work.
    Is this how its supposed to look?

Attached Files:

• reg.jpg
      reg.jpg
      File size:
      107.8 KB
      Views:
    • reg.jpg
      reg.jpg
      File size:
      107.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Out of interest, have you tried running it at high quality settings with a resolution of 1366x768?

8. ativ8

ativ8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK, tried that as well, default settings on "high" with no additional tweaking. Framerates are NOT higher (between 25-40, measured via Steam now), but the scenery looks better, mostly due to better lighting and possible the Extreme textures that come with this setting. As this setting enables the God Rays, performance seems to depend on the daytime too now (fps go down at noon and up in the night) and might go down to about 20-22 on rare occasions, but not lower. On this setting, you can still play fluently and it's fun, but in the end, I think I'll stick with 1920x1080, because the game looks good enough too and seems to run a tad more stable fps-wise. I'm at level 6 now and had no (technical) problems in a rather fierce fight against a group of 5 or 6 raiders accompanied by a Death Claw.

One odd thing is that the launcher settings seem to interdepent, ie. you cannot disable God Rays on high settings, but didn't go into this further. IIRC God Rays and shadows are the most GPU-eating features, other options don't seem to have the same effect.

All in all, the game looks and possibly performs at least as good as Armored Warfare on CryEngine 3, and that one is said to be rather efficient. I cannot say playing Fallout 4 on my desktop pc is more fun than on the laptop, even though that one has considerably more horse power (the CPU makes no noticable difference).

HTH,
    -- Chris.

9. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ativ8: Thank you for testing:)

10. Darmok123

Darmok123 Newbie

Reputations:
    I use my NP780Z5E quite heavily and play a bunch of games on it. After struggling for (literally) years to get all my drivers working properly, I've been extremely hesitant to upgrade to Windows 10 for fear of breaking them all again. In particular I've had a lot of trouble with the Radeon 8770- I seem to only be getting the HD 4000 and even replaced the motherboard to still get the same problem. I've been wondering if anyone has upgraded the NP780Z5E in particular to Windows 10 and what luck or lack of luck they've had with the Radeon card.